So close!

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
yelp_wanted

So close!

Postby yelp_wanted » April 9th, 2011, 4:42 am

I don't mean to give you guys a play-by-play of my season but I need some advice again. I'm sitting here being quiet and I hear a gobble. So I wait about five minutes and start moving where I heard him. I setup and yelped. He HAMMERED it. So sit tight. He gobbles again and he's getting closer. I go ahead and shoulder my gun and wait. About 10 minutes later I see this bright red head and he's all strutted out. I'm shaking at this point. He's slowly moving to me when drops his and looks down the edge of the hill. He starts moving away from me so I yelp at him 3 times. He putts and goes back down the hill from the direction he came from.

At this point I don't know if I should try to circle him. I don't want to bump him. If things don't pan out today should I try setting up in this same place when I moved?

Watching him putt and run the other way hurt. So close to bagging my first while I was at the controls calling.

Waiting him putt and move the other dire

retranger

RE: So close!

Postby retranger » April 9th, 2011, 7:17 am

He saw something he didn't like. Are you sure you didn't move????? maybe he saw you shaking!!!! LOL How far away was he? I would go back to the area tomorrow and set up in a little different spot and try again.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » April 9th, 2011, 7:32 am

I would not have yelped with him in sight. A soft purr or cluck wouldn't hurt if he's still out of sight. He heard you & is already coming looking for the hen he heard, so there was no need to yelp. You were doing the right thing and took it one step too far. If you would have been patient and just held tight, you probably would have gotten a shot. If he came close & then went away, then you could try to yelp or cutt him back. The putts & him going away was you getting busted. A hen wouldn't yelp at a gobbler that was close. If you can see him, he can see you & their eyesight is way better than ours.

Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you this time. Welcome to turkey school. They'll teach you all kinds of stuff if you let 'em. I certainly made the same mistake & many more. Good luck next time out. Looking forward to seeing your picture here with a big 'ol longbeard.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

yelp_wanted

Postby yelp_wanted » April 9th, 2011, 7:46 am

I was still as I could be, I guess that doesn't mean I didn't move. I haven't seen enough gobblers to read their body language. He came stutting up the hill to me in full strut. He relaxed for a second and looked around. Then he fanned out long enough to puff up and then he relaxed again. I had the gun on him the whole time, there was a lot small growth on the ground that I was hoping he would clear. Anyway, after his 2nd strut he stuck his head straight up looked down the hill to our side and started moving that way. He almost looked confused that there wasn't a hen where I was. Maybe I shouldn't of made a sound, but when he started toward the side hill, I yelped softly in hopes to get his attention. He looked around for about 10 seconds and then started putting.

Maybe I shouldn't of made a sound, but he was going to move down that side hill from me anyway. I can't get too down though. This is another first for me. This gobbler was the first to respond to my calling. If he would of just cleared the brush he was behind!

I let him alone for about 30 minutes. I then tried looping around and down into the valley, but no dice. I was a little worried about calling again, but I put in a differnet mouth call and yelped again. Sat for about an hour and got nothing, so I decided to save it for another day.

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » April 9th, 2011, 1:53 pm

I wouldnt get down on myself in that situation I would be pumped you located a responsive bird and you didnt spook him he is ready to be called to the gun so stay on him. Dont call to a bird if you can see him! GOOD LUCK!

Jon
Turkeybuster

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » April 9th, 2011, 4:08 pm

I hate to hear that but at least you're starting to get in on some good action. Sure you didn't harvest that bird but you're starting to knock on the door. It's things like that that make turkey hunting so difficult at times, but so rewarding when things pan out. Keep at it and I'm sure you'll get another opportunity to get your first bird. Good luck!
Brian

Return to Strategies