Do you have a "Go To" spot?

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
thunderchicken

RE: Do you have a "Go To" spot?

Postby thunderchicken » March 25th, 2011, 2:48 am

I do have a couple go to spots that require some hiking!!!
Impatience is hard to ignore, but patience puts the bird in the truck!

turkeylimb

Postby turkeylimb » March 25th, 2011, 8:42 am

I THINK IF YOU HUNT TURKEYS LONG ENOUGH YOU WILL FIND THAT HONEY HOLE SOONER OR LATER. HOPEFULLY SOONER. I HAVE TWO.

MAKEemQUIVER

Postby MAKEemQUIVER » March 26th, 2011, 3:48 am

My honey hole is located between two subdivisions. The property that I have permission to hunt is 25 acres, it is a pasture ridge with a brush pile about 3/4 the way out through the field. Where they roost is on another piece of property that is about a 10 acre chunk of woods. It is a great place to hunt but you have to be very careful because if you spook the birds this place is done for 3 to 4 days. Its pretty funny waiting on daylight to come and looking at about fifty houses lit up around you.

dam3391

Postby dam3391 » March 31st, 2011, 5:03 am

i "had" honey holes.  It seems every year there becomes more and more turkey hunters here in VT.  I use that term loosely...

In my county public land is shrinking fast so the pressure on public land birds is pretty bad.  I do have a spot up the road on a farm that always has a bird there every year.  Got gem him the first couple of days because someone always messes it up!

TRapper

Postby TRapper » April 2nd, 2011, 4:28 pm

i have an area i always start in every year,  it is where 3 very long ridges all come down to a creek bottom and come together in that spot,  i always start there,  only 300 yards off the road and then if nothing,  i can hear for a long ways and can start up the ridge where i heard the last gobble. 
Joshua "TRapper" Jones
Dream Sportsman Trips at Dream Prices
http://trapperstravel.roviadreams.com/d ... /tripslist

Sit Still...

Postby Sit Still... » April 7th, 2011, 10:32 am

The idea of "honey holes" is not crazy at all. It is simply logical. Shaman's reference to bass fishing is dead on. There are areas in your favorite lake that ALWAYS hold fish, and they are always GOING to hold fish. That spot has everything the fish want and need, and it is the same in the woods. Sure you can find turkeys in lots of areas in the woods, but there are other areas, much SMALLER areas that have everything the turkeys want and need and you will find them there every year unless they get driven off by excessive pressure.
My honey hole is only one year old since it was my first year hunting these wiley birds last spring, but it has everything they like around here. Huge Ponderosa pines for roosting, small openings for foraging for food, shorter trees and vegetation for cover, and a large clearing nearby with tall grass and plenty of brush for nesting protection. It even has a few points where ground water collects in large puddles every time it rains. I have already been there this spring and the sign is good. Plenty of tracks, a good amount of scratching and lots of poop in the area. Guess where I will be opening morning?
Hey Shaman what's with the apologetic note about "ambushing"? We scout to find areas that hold the birds, then completely camoflage ourselves to be invisible, call to the best of our abilities so we trick them into thinking we are one of them, wait till they are close enough and then fire a sniper shot to kill them. I believe it's ALL ambush hunting. In fact MOST hunting is an ambush. It all comes down to us having woods knowledge and the ability to reason so we can outsmart them. Even running and gunning turns into an ambush setting when you strike a bird nearby and sit down to call 'em in.
Here's to everyones honey holes paying off like a Vegs slot machine that's been rigged for the player not the house!
Steve
Knowledge leads to success!

joeturkey

Postby joeturkey » April 10th, 2011, 7:53 pm

My first goto spot is on the backside of my land farthest away from the road. It's on a high ridge overlooking a deep ravine down to a running creekbottom. The turkeys are always roosting on one side of creek or the other(usually the opposite side I choose to set up on) just downhill from the top of the ridge. I was up last weekend doing some log cutting on a couple of the main logging roads and trails. I took a rake and cleaned out a trail 150 yards or so that leads to a perfect setup spot. With any luck I should be able to sneak in real close!! This spot has been great for early roost hunts for many years. If they are on the other side of the ravine all bets are off and I'll be in for a long hike[:@] It's always great when a plan comes together! Good luck and Good hunting   Joe
"You need to drink a few large glasses of beer tonight. That is the only solution. "

Ben Franklin

PALongspur

Postby PALongspur » April 12th, 2011, 3:30 pm

I usually "go-to" wherever he gobbles from!! [:D]

Seriously, I do have some favorite spots. Some areas are just so on the money that it seems there's a longbeard in the same preferred roost tree year after year. As much as I love hunting familiar territory, there's nothing like hunting a virgin property for the first time. Whether I'm hunting here in PA or another state, I love going in blind to a new spot and then taking off after that first gobble!

Previous

Return to Strategies