Something new to try!

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
silvestris

RE: Something new to try!

Postby silvestris » January 24th, 2009, 6:52 am

Be careful, Fan Club.  On a couple of other sites, I am known for being verbose.  I try here to keep it short and simple.  By "be careful", I don't want you to be asking yourself, "why did I tell him to make longer posts?"  
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » January 24th, 2009, 10:27 am

fan man ....col kelly and jim cassada both have hunted with dogs....why is it every time someone bashes the dacoys...dOgs come up....bs...god forbid if someone uses both....any way better find some new idols[;)]. you just flunked

greyghost

Postby greyghost » January 24th, 2009, 11:30 am

ORIGINAL: turkeydoghunter

fan man ....col kelly and jim cassada both have hunted with dogs....why is it every time someone bashes the dacoys...dOgs come up....bs...god forbid if someone uses both....any way better find some new idols[;)]. you just flunked

TDH maybe the answer to your question is answered by Mr. Kelly in his new book.

Tom Kelly's new book 'A Fork In The Road' is for the begining hunter geared towards the young and new. The following is exerts from just pages 87 and 88. Now if one of us were to say what Mr. Kelly says, we would be chastised and shall we say corrected in our small way of thinking or old ways. Have you ever noticed the top names in the turkey hunting community do not post on many if at all any of the forums. Wounder why?

Col. Tom Kelly detests dog hunting, decoys and here is an excert from his last book 'A Fork In The Road'. "Dogs and decoys are fiddling with existing ground rules and are designed to make things easier. I can scatter droves of turkeys in the fall myself, it is well within human capabilities and, in my opinion, I should not have it done for me".
"Decoys simply assist the use of bait, which is exactly what shooting turkeys in chufa patches is, no matter what you choose to call it. The only difference between chufa patches and scattered corn is that with chufas, you do the baiting before the season as well as before the fact. You bait the bird at the time you write the check for the seed and are therefore not subject to arrest because of the timing. Letting a hunter set up decoys next to a chufa patch or a green field simply compounds the felony".
Also he has a DVD that comes with this book. In the beginning of it he is sitting in a rocking chair with a table in front of him loaded with turkey hunting goodies. In front of the table is 3 decoys. Mr. Kelly gets up, goes over to the decoys and kicks the decoys off the porch (not push) explaining in his gentlemenly way the vices of decoys and I believe blinds, I know he talked some on them.

Call it what ever but Mr. Kelly has paid his dues and is entitled to his opinions as any of us. I totaly respect his thoughts although I do disagree some on the dog thing, I will never say he is sarcastic or writes digs.

Just food for thought.

Earl

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » January 24th, 2009, 11:56 am

...i know a couple of people that hang with tom kelly and thier big dog people.....i think swpatrkyhunter has a cool gadget.....here apic of my dog and wanna be dacoys

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » January 24th, 2009, 4:37 pm

same people that wanted me to call on the trumpet at the grand nationals for thier seminar.......what do you think of my fort campbell turkeys...frank pretty cool first time luck[:D] junior didnt even get hurt...[8|]

greyghost

Postby greyghost » January 24th, 2009, 6:05 pm

Warning: I am not defending anyone, you all know the mentioned folks are more then capable of handling it them selfs. Just my views. Ron I know this battle is between you and Frank, but. IMO No not IMO, IWO. Sorry, respectfully submitted.

"same people that wanted me to call on the trumpet at the grand nationals for thier seminar"

Ron, yes I am sure it was the same people. Don't lead folks to believe that you were the guest speaker or only one. There were I beleive 7 total and the main one was Parker Weadon. In fact the lady in charge sounded the best of all.

Ron you are a good turkey hunter with good dogs why must you try and compete with Frank? Frank will hunt and call circles around you and many others.

"frank pretty cool first time luck"

It was not luck, Frank talked you through the process and areas and a game warden also helped. You and your dogs then had the skills to make it happen, thats it.

If it was not for Frank it never would have happened, you going to Fort Campbell and having the success you had. This is the thanks he gets.

"junior didnt even get hurt..."

Thats great, why even bring that up? Because Buster broke a toenail?

Earl

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » January 25th, 2009, 2:07 am

earl you really need to get your head out of  franks BAH....i never said i was the guest spearker you put words in my mouth....or the only one asked..never said i was better than anyone  at hunting and im not in any comptetion with frank although he tries to make it one....yes frank is a friend that helped me get the proper paper work and for that im gratefull and the game warden, a friend pointed me to the area ...so thats what a good hunter does , get info like that....me and my dog walked a long way to find ,break, and kill the two birds.....so if you think frank did that you are as crazy as him...lmaso....any way get your head out franks ...BAH.....and quit try to defend him hes a big bOy  and can fight his own battles .....im sure you two will confer on your next post......... IMO quit tring to butter him up for a box call ......i hold my own in the turkey woods  no circles about it earl and you can qoute that, im sure you will...ill beat you to that ....hey everyone i  got skunked at ft Quantico hunting with Earl fall and spring ....ya see earl that dont bother me ...we came close but no cigar....... had a good time and enjoyed your hospitality......you got skunked there this fall also....it happens to the best ...frank hunted a    at ft campbell and got skunked ...and before that he shot a bird out a tree...someones dog or his im not sure had flushed ....earl thats why they call it hunting not killing ......oh well yall dont be so jealous , looking forward to more digs from you and frank,  ...im sure not ...i enjoy and love hunting with my dogs and will continue to do so ....no one can change that....respectfully......TDH
ORIGINAL: greyghost

Warning: I am not defending anyone, you all know the mentioned folks are more then capable of handling it them selfs. Just my views. Ron I know this battle is between you and Frank, but. IMO No not IMO, IWO. Sorry, respectfully submitted.

"same people that wanted me to call on the trumpet at the grand nationals for thier seminar"

Ron, yes I am sure it was the same people. Don't lead folks to believe that you were the guest speaker or only one. There were I beleive 7 total and the main one was Parker Weadon. In fact the lady in charge sounded the best of all.

Ron you are a good turkey hunter with good dogs why must you try and compete with Frank? Frank will hunt and call circles around you and many others.

"frank pretty cool first time luck"

It was not luck, Frank talked you through the process and areas and a game warden also helped. You and your dogs then had the skills to make it happen, thats it.

If it was not for Frank it never would have happened, you going to Fort Campbell and having the success you had. This is the thanks he gets.

"junior didnt even get hurt..."

Thats great, why even bring that up? Because Buster broke a toenail?

Earl

mark hay

Postby mark hay » January 25th, 2009, 3:33 am

NOW I'M CONFUSED,,,,are you fellers just aquainted , friends , or enemies.
been some good reading but very disturbing at times.
while i'm here,,, DOGS,,,i find it very interesting to read the accounts you fellers and others in the mag have shared . i possess an admiration for the men and women that use dogs for whatever sport. be it bears , coons or turkeys.  i've had the pleasure of hunting with a few GOOD  dogs on upland birds and 1 exceptional coonhound. but i don't possess the desire to own a hunting dog. i think there are only certain folks that are cut out to work and enjoy the dogs in hunting.
just thought i'd throw that out,,,now ,,,,,let the skirmish continue.

greyghost

Postby greyghost » January 25th, 2009, 3:56 am

Back to the original post first. SWPATRKHUT with all the highjacking of your post I appoligize. What you have is good and works. Trying to get a bird where you want them is a continuing problem for all. If that will work for you and have confidence in it by all means use it. Confidence in any call or set up is one of the reasons for success. Personnally, I most of the times have no time to place or set up decoys. I feel the less movement, noise, activity weather setting up in the dark or when you locate one lessens ones chances (in other words I am clumsy). If you are a field type hunter or can set for long periods please use whatever tactic you have that is legal.

I made another post from Tom Kelly's book "A Fork In The Road" he says it better then I, I am not a politically correct person. His feelings on decoys are close to mine. We differ on his dog hunting statement but do not in any way think he is attacking me or any other turkey dog hunter. It is only his opinion and nothing else.

Now to 'As The Turkey Hunting World Turns' episode 3

And I get on my mother-in-law about watching soaps on TV. [:D]

To all: I know some may be enjoying this, but we are friends, I think [:o].

Ron, please read my Warning notice again, thanks.[;)] 

[:D] Ron you and Frank are good friends of mine and welcomed here any time. In fact anyone that I know are more then welcomed.

[:D] My head is where [:D] Dand I thought it was on my neck and shoulders. I will have to ask Frank for it back. [:D] 

[&o] I covered my Quantico misfortunes in another post (read) [;)]

"frank hunted a    at ft campbell and got skunked"

[:D] Frank was skunked at Campball [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D] You got to be kidding. I think Campballs records will more then prove other wise. [;)]

"someones dog or his im not sure had flushed"

Again, you got to be kidding. [:D] 

I know I attacked first and you have every right to counter attack, of course as hard headed as I am (you know that) surrender is not a word or option. [:D] 

Earl

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » January 25th, 2009, 4:06 am

to bad i missed[:D]

PreviousNext

Return to Strategies