new question

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
Magnumdood

RE: new question

Postby Magnumdood » February 8th, 2009, 12:33 pm

ORIGINAL: trkyklr
thanx for the props....some one @ hed1/4s must have liked it ,they put it in the books...i think thats twice...i hope i am teachin' some of the readers to pick up & destroy the sign of his flock, because he will be the guy thats fillin his tags during the season, it wont be the soft hearted guy out there sittin at the check in station tellin everyone what & where they saw birds

Yeah, no room in this world for soft-hearted guys.

Keep on demonstrating to newbies what Turkey Hunting is all about: Cut-throat competition - screw the next guy as long as I get mine.

I've been exposed to it all my life.  Guys that fish would rather die than tell even their best friend where their "honey-hole" is.  Deer hunters aren't about to tell you where they saw "Big Buck."  I'm not saying it's not realistic.  I'm saying we don't need to be advertising "it;" "it" being the tin-foil-beanie paranoia that goes hand-in-hand with hiding your favorite hunting spot.

As far as the soft-hearted guy at the check station telling everyone where the birds are, well, we need more of them.

StevePA

Postby StevePA » February 8th, 2009, 12:37 pm

I gave up being "nice" many many years ago...It only took one time for me to have a "friend" show up at a honey hole that i had showed him..Wont happen again..There are tricks to every trade and one must learn them on their own to survive...
turkeykiller

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » February 8th, 2009, 4:30 pm

yeah,no room in this world for soft-hearted guys.

Keep on demonstrating to newbies what Turkey Hunting is all about: Cut-throat competition - screw the next guy as long as I get mine.

I've been exposed to it all my life.  Guys that fish would rather die than tell even their best friend where their "honey-hole" is.  Deer hunters aren't about to tell you where they saw "Big Buck."  I'm not saying it's not realistic.  I'm saying we don't need to be advertising "it;" "it" being the tin-foil-beanie paranoia that goes hand-in-hand with hiding your favorite hunting spot.

as far as the soft-hearted guy at the check station telling everyone where the birds are, well, we need more of them.
[/quote]

ralph,1st off welcome to the forum maybe you'll stick around i enjoy the conversation,
no room for the soft hearted guy:not when it comes to locating turkeys
keep showin newbies what its all about screw the next guy so i can get mine:no way dude,that aint my style
yes i fish (tournaments) & NO i wont tell you my spots  
i saw a big buck the other day the only person that knows was the one that was with me
dont need to advertise it?what do you want me to do lie about it & try to hide it
we need more soft hearted guys in the world??dude move to california

TC,if i killed a big buck i would tell you where i killed him, unless he had a couple of his buddys with him[:D][:D]

Morgan

Postby Morgan » February 8th, 2009, 5:14 pm

[:D][:D][:D]..You evidently don't know the same turkeys hunters i do....[:D]....

I guess old habits die hard....in the early years...we did good some years to find 2 gobbling turkeys in a year....gobbler tracks were even harder to find...I remember when the eastern half of our county was closed...wasn't enough turkeys to have a season...but the Game and Fish Dept in Ms started trapping and transporting them around the state...the first open season in my part of Newton County was 1977....12 years after I started hunting them....I been through the lean times...ain't forgot either....The old guy that mentored me...went with me one day on some birds I had found...I'll never forget him saying..."you ain't gotta lie about these turkeys...but I wouldn't volunteer their location"....
...Old Timers Gobbler Club...

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » February 8th, 2009, 5:59 pm

ralph,1st off welcome to the forum maybe you'll stick around i enjoy the conversation,

Thank you, I intend to.  I'm a member of the legion.

no room for the soft hearted guy:not when it comes to locating turkeys

We'll just have to disagree.  Bagging the bird (or any game) isn't the most important part of the hunt to me.

keep showin newbies what its all about screw the next guy so i can get mine:no way dude,that aint my style

It sure appears to be your style.

yes i fish (tournaments) & NO i wont tell you my spots

I think that's common in most areas of hunting.  My protest was making it so public.  This forum will be the first contact many people have with turkey hunting.

we need more soft hearted guys in the world??dude move to california

Dude?  Hmmm....

Well, I have no intention of moving to KA.  I still say we could use more compassionate, thoughtful people hanging around the sport.  I won't stoop to hypocrisy and pretend I'm one of them though.

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » February 8th, 2009, 5:59 pm

HI MAGNUMDOOD

Welcome to the forum!
I take it from your forthright comments you are not a experienced turkey hunter and have not met with
circumstances that most of us have had in the past.
Had you done your homework before you made your speech you would have found that there are very few IF ANY people on this forum that have not or are not willing to help another person in the quest of
persueing the elusive wild turkey includeing calling skills, shooting, safety, proper equiptment, ethics what clothing works for them and tactics that have worked for us in the past.
All you have to do is post it and you will get a lot of help, I gaurantee you if you didn't have a shirt to wear somebody would give you one off their back.
If you want them to tell you where to hunt they aren't going to do that not because they are greedy
or want to get theirs first but because they have spent countless hours in the field to find as you say
their honey hole and are more than intiteled to pick up the feathers and stomp out the tracks.
Hang around here this spring and read about how many of us will take young people hunting and experience youth hunters on their first turkey hunt or assist elderly hunters so they can enjoy this sport in their golden years.
If you haven't heard about the National Wild Turkey Federation and the programs they have such as
the JAKES,WOMEN IN THE OUTDOORS,WHEELING SPORTSMEN you should look into it as they are always looking for unselfish volunteers such as yourself.
In closeing I suggest you spend more time in the woods in pursuit of your honey hole and let the feathers lay so we can share it with you this spring season.

Regards
Turkeybuster

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » February 8th, 2009, 6:17 pm

Turkeybuster,

No doubt I'm less experienced than the majority of turkey hunters on this forum.  But, I have been hunting big game, varmints and predators for the last 42 years.  I've only been turkey hunting 8 years. 

I am a member of the NWTF as well the VHA and a lifetime member of the NRA.  My daughter gets the jakes magazine and loves to turkey hunt with me (deer hunt, dove hunt and fish as well).

I'm not the rookie you attempt to infer me to be, as demonstrated by your last insulting line.

Regards

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » February 8th, 2009, 6:29 pm

dude,why are you so sinsitive?no body said killin was the most important part of the hunt,& i dont care who knows i kick out tracks & pick up a feather while hunting & as far as pretending,not here take me as i come i cant help you dont like it

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » February 8th, 2009, 6:44 pm

Yeah, you're right, I should lighten up.

As far as posts go I'm a newbie here.

As far as turkey hunting goes I still feel like a newbie though it has literally consumed me for the last 8 years.

With regard to hunting in general, I am not a newbie.  I'm dating myself, but my dad gave me my first .22 when I was 8 and I've been hunting ever since.  I grew up in Texas.  I've been in the People's RepubliK of Illinois for the last 9 years.

I hope to learn while I'm here and share when I can.

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » February 8th, 2009, 6:48 pm

dude i hope we can teach you something

PreviousNext

Return to Strategies