new question

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
swpatrkyhunter

RE: new question

Postby swpatrkyhunter » January 15th, 2009, 9:12 pm

Sure I pick them up! But not for the same reason you do. I find that usually on public land alot of the guys that show up first morning eaither have hunted the area for many years or have come out a day or two and hit some calls to see if any birds are in the area. besides. There is no way to pick up every single feather That someone else MIGHT see. Just relax and make the best of the hunt.

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » February 7th, 2009, 8:02 pm

ORIGINAL: Turkeybuster

I pick them up also stomp out the tracks and any strut marks.

Turkeybuster

Along with trkyklr and morgan I must say that's disappointing.

I've come to know turkey hunters as some of the most generous, giving, wish-for-the-best for their fellow hunters of ALL the hunting groups.  I've had turkey hunters in my area give of their time and expertise to assist my kids and I.  A very selfless group one and almost all.

There's always a few exceptions to the rule; a shame really.

Trkyklr's post made the latest edition of Turkey and Turkey Hunting - March 2009.

Here's what they posted:

ORIGINAL: trkyklr

I do if im on public land,that way one of you cant come behind me & find that bit of turkey sign.

Ain't that just a lovely, inclusive image we've given the reading public? Good job!

silvestris

Postby silvestris » February 8th, 2009, 1:52 am

Magnumdood, if I knew you and thought highly enough of you, I would tell you where I had picked up feathers and stomped out tracks.  Sorry if it offends you, but I was taught to eliminate all turkey sign when encountered.  I would be disappointed in you if you did not do the same.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

greyghost

Postby greyghost » February 8th, 2009, 3:21 am

ORIGINAL: Magnumdood

ORIGINAL: Turkeybuster

I pick them up also stomp out the tracks and any strut marks.

Turkeybuster

Along with trkyklr and morgan I must say that's disappointing.

I've come to know turkey hunters as some of the most generous, giving, wish-for-the-best for their fellow hunters of ALL the hunting groups.  I've had turkey hunters in my area give of their time and expertise to assist my kids and I.  A very selfless group one and almost all.

There's always a few exceptions to the rule; a shame really.

Trkyklr's post made the latest edition of Turkey and Turkey Hunting - March 2009.

Here's what they posted:

I do if im on public land,that way one of you cant come behind me & find that bit of turkey sign.

Ain't that just a lovely, inclusive image we've given the reading public? Good job!

First off I know what you are saying and looking at this great sport and those in it. I feel the same that a lot are very respectful. But I have seen even a Pastor in PA when shown a great turkey hunting area take over the lease the following year and get the person banned that showed him the spot. Divine intervention I guess.

I to believe that turkey hunters are very helpful with others so far as sharing information and hunting ground as a whole. I think everyone on here so far as I know and reading their posts would share with any kid, disabled person or someone new to the sport. Now I speak for myself and that is I to have shared many a hunting ground with new folks or just meeting someone new and told them of hot spots over the years. And many, many times I have been pushed out of the area when they think it was just theirs to hunt themselfs or start bringing their friends in. (private or public). I lost a piece of good hunting ground when I took a friend along to hunt after talking to the owner and clearing it with him. My x-friend knew the rules that he could only hunt there with me. Well it was not a week when I got a call from the owner wanting to know why my friend and 2 others were there hunting. Needless to say, lost the land. I knew this guy for about a year and seemed an upright man, he talked a lot about respect. I even had some folks I showed around on public land I hunted, even telling them where I heard birds and the next thing I know they were blocking off the area (military base) with a couple other of their friends so I would not get access. I could go on and on with stabs in the back of folks I showed the ins and outs of and good hunting spots.

So now if I have guests in from out of State I will get them in good spots and on birds. If a man or woman wants to take their son or daughter out I will show them the same. Disabled hunters, I will go that extra mile to get them special permission on base or off.

But folks I know locally there are only a couple that I take to special spots, have know them for many, many years. The rest of them know they will get no information from me and they are fairley much the same and I do not blame them one bit for not sharing.

Up until about 1985 I never said anything to anyone on where I was seeing or hearing turkeys and no one else did.

Like I said I can not speak for others on here but I would bet they may have had similar experiences.

Like you said there are exceptions to the rule but the way I look at it today the exception are those that are respectful when shown hot spots and not think they have exclusive rights. 

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » February 8th, 2009, 4:07 am

ORIGINAL: silvestris

Magnumdood, if I knew you and thought highly enough of you, I would tell you where I had picked up feathers and stomped out tracks.  Sorry if it offends you, but I was taught to eliminate all turkey sign when encountered.  I would be disappointed in you if you did not do the same.

amen mr.sivestris you are among the wise ol owls,ghost you can speek on my behalf any time, i too have been robbed of the "secret spot"on both private & public & i too will help any kid or disabled person get on a bird anytime, but if you are a healthy capable feller go learn your own locations to hunt

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » February 8th, 2009, 4:48 am

Here's what they posted:

[/quote]

thanx for the props....some one @ hed1/4s must have liked it ,they put it in the books...i think thats twice...i hope i am teachin' some of the readers to pick up & destroy the sign of his flock, because he will be the guy thats fillin his tags during the season, it wont be the soft hearted guy out there sittin at the check in station tellin everyone what & where they saw birds

StevePA

Postby StevePA » February 8th, 2009, 5:21 am

I try to erase all turkey sign that I find...feathers   tracks   poop  strut marks  etc
turkeykiller

Limbhanger150

Postby Limbhanger150 » February 8th, 2009, 10:03 am

I think anyone that hunted back in the 70s or early 80s where turkeys were scarce, was likely very secretive with info and bird locations. I know we were. As the population increased the number of hunters increased. Then you had more "experts". I was fortunate to have knowledgable folks to teach me the basics of turkey hunting. Even though they insisted that I learn alot on my own. Mistakes make a better impression sometimes.

I never hid turkey sign but I did pick up feathers because I liked to collect them. (feathers were almost as scarce as turkey back in the early 80s) I am also fortunate enough to have mostly private land to hunt on. Competition from other hunters is minimal and we know each other. We still however, dont "enlighten" each other to located birds unless we are having trouble getting him.

Many seasons have gone by since my first hunt. I continue to learn and presently have some "protege's" of my own now. I will take anyone interested in hunting turkey, if I think I can trust them.

I can say it is a sport that is learned from other hunters and the birds themselves. It takes decades to even start to "understand" turkey, much less be an "expert".

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » February 8th, 2009, 10:34 am

I fully understand the comments that have been made on this subject, including the one made by magnumdood.  There is a fine line between protecting our individual interests as hunters and being perceived as a bunch of selfish, self-serving S.O.B.'s.  A few statements taken out of context, without the fore or hindsight of being able to view the body of work of either an individual, or group, as a whole, can sometimes be very misleading.

Jim

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » February 8th, 2009, 10:48 am

As for the thread topic, I suppose that the practice of eliminating turkey sign must be somewhat related as to where one hunts.  Here in New Mexico, where there is a tremendous amount of public land and where the wild turkeys are highly visible, it would be a total waste of time for someone to try to get rid of any evidence of turkeys.  It would be like giving a Titanic passenger a paper cup to bail out the ship to keep it from sinking.  The thought would not even cross the mind of someone that hunts in this country.

There is one exception, however.  Here in the arid southwest, there are instances where small groups of turkeys will live in the vicinity of isolated water sources, such as springs and water tanks.  Savvy hunters will locate these water sources and then check around them for tracks and other sign.  Now I have been know to take "eliminative actions" in situations like that!

Jim

PreviousNext

Return to Strategies