Turkey tips

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
webfoot

RE: Turkey tips

Postby webfoot » February 28th, 2009, 7:15 am

I admit it may seem like overkill, but the spin-stoppers and the kite string have made a difference in my hunts.  It is very frustrating when a gust of wind sends the decoy spinning like a top at just the wrong moment.  A lot of times I don't need them (grass or other vegetation is high enough to touch the decoy tail), but they're nice to have when I do. 

I actually don't use decoys that much on public ground for safety reasons.  That's when #10 and #11 come in handy.  My use of decoys on private land has decreased recently also (had a couple toms head out after after seeing decoys).  I try to set up so that the bird is in range when I first see him (dog-leg of logging road, open spot within thicker vegetation, etc).

Just thought I would post some ideas that have helped me in the past. 

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » February 28th, 2009, 9:05 am

thats cool, but in my experiences it seems like the more unecessary stuff you have only complicates the hunt..

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » February 28th, 2009, 11:04 am

Welcome Webfoot!   And here's another tip or two for ya.

Carry an extra pair of socks with you. Sometimes you can get a hole in your boots or your feet can just sweat and get damp. Haveing a pair of dry socks to change into can help keep you comfortable which is important.

Before the season starts. Load yourself up with everything you intend to take with you on the first morning. Go out and walk around a bit in your backyard, do a mock setup,etc... THEN. Think about 
 what you REALLY need versus what you just wanted to bring. It amazes me the differance in just how much stuff I take into the woods at the start of the season versus what I take by the end of the season.

If it gobbles,runs on gas, or is married to you it will give you trouble!

paboxcall

Postby paboxcall » February 28th, 2009, 2:10 pm

Hey now!  Welcome from PA.

Another little tip I learn EVERY YEAR -- if you use one of those inflatable seat cushions that buckle around your waist, after getting back to the truck be sure to clip it directly to your vest.

Can't count how many times I lock the truck and walk away without that seat because it was lying by itself in the back of the truck.

Another -- get a high quality pair of pruners and keep them in your vest.  They are worth every penny when you have thorny brush around the base of your set up tree, or you get caught on the thorns trying to break through the brush.

John
"So much of this business of hunting turkeys, you stupid it up right at the last.
You do everything right for an hour and a half, and then you sit down here
and there's nothing you can do about it, you made a mistake."
Tom Kelly, [i]Turkey Tales

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » March 1st, 2009, 4:01 am

> Another little tip I learn EVERY YEAR -- if you use one of those inflatable seat cushions that buckle around your waist, after getting back to the truck be sure to clip it directly to your vest.

Can't count how many times I lock the truck and walk away without that seat because it was lying by itself in the back of the truck. <

Thanks John, I'll use that one.

I use the same rig and it happens to me several times a year as well.

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

Previous

Return to Strategies