spring stratigies

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
grunt_doc

RE: spring stratigies

Postby grunt_doc » January 4th, 2009, 5:41 am

I just scratch my head as i try to figure out why they didn't come any closer...

silvestris

Postby silvestris » January 5th, 2009, 5:36 pm

Shhhhhhhhhh! TC.  You know it is virtually impossible to call one without making him gobble and gobble and gobble.  You know you should yelp and yelp loudly and often while the gobbler is on his roost.  How else is he going to know where you are unless you make dang sure by calling loud and alot.  Also, you know the lost chord is the call that makes them come, but you have to yelp, cluck, cackle, cutt and kee and mix them all up so you stand a better chance of making the lost chord.  Plus it is so much more fun that you can be heard for a mile away.  Just think, if you should mess up the one in the tree somehow, you have eight or ten heading your way to call loudly and often to while the first one is taking up homesteading in the next county.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » January 6th, 2009, 4:52 pm

Of course you know, Silvestris, that one (or more) of the newbies here are going to put up a post after the season thanking you for your suggestion above.  In fact they will be posting pictures of  twenty-five pound gobblers with 1 1/2" spurs and 12" beards, all the while thanking you for the great advice on how to kill one!  Just you wait and see!

Jim

JPH

Postby JPH » January 7th, 2009, 1:59 am

I can't even begin to reply! This forum is killing me. [:D]

I really do not want to disagree with anyone this much. I need to start posting under JPHII just so I have someone to agree with. [:D]
JPH's post has been brought to you today by the letters I, M, and O.

JPH

Postby JPH » January 7th, 2009, 2:17 am

Yeah good point. If only the birds did not agree with me so often, I'd develop a complex.

Which pro-staff job would that be? The D&DH "job" or is there something I am missing? 

JPH

Postby JPH » January 7th, 2009, 3:16 am

ORIGINAL: TurkeyComander

ORIGINAL: JPH
Yeah good point. If only the birds did not agree with me so often, I'd develop a complex.

Ever think it might have something to do with the turkey populaton explosion...[:D]

Are their spurs getting longer too?

BTW, you ignored my question to you. I sent you a PM.

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » January 7th, 2009, 11:56 am

Joe (JPH), I want to assure you that I will not be offended by any comments you make here that are contradictory to statements that I make.  I am here to exchange ideas, stories, and information with other avid turkey hunters, and I am, personally, very interested in hearing about tactics and calling methods that others on here use, especially those that have been consistently successful for them.

From your comments, I am assuming that you have had good success by calling agressively to gobblers on the roost.  If you have, I would like to know the details about how you do it because I have personally not had much positive outcome from doing that. 

Lest you assume that I am one of those on here that are convinced that very conservative calling tactics are the only way to go, let me assure you I am not.  I am, and have been, perfectly willing to use agressive calling in any situation, and often do.  It has been my experience, however, that really agressive calling to a gobbler on the roost is not a wise decision.

Once again, if you have had success with it, let's hear about it, and with details. 

Jim

JPH

Postby JPH » January 7th, 2009, 12:51 pm

ORIGINAL: Gobblerman

From you comments, I am assuming that you have had good success by calling agressively to gobblers on the roost.  If you have, I would like to know the details about how you do it because I have personally not had much positive outcome from doing that. 

Sorry that I gave that impression, because while I have tried I have had less than stellar outcomes when calling hard to roosted birds. I have killed some this way, but I do not do it often.

My aggression often comes out once a bird is on the ground. If he is working to me, I'll play hard to get. But if he is undecided, and if I'm feeling frisky, I will sometimes hit him with a wall of sound. I will often hammer on my slate and cut with my mouth call at the same time, cutting off my own calls. This has worked for me many, many times. Is it my style all the time? No, but I am not reluctant to do it.

Hope that is a little clearer. I'd be happy to bore you with examples of what I have done and why, but I'll probably gloss over the times I only called in ticks. [:D]

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » January 7th, 2009, 2:15 pm

OKay, I thought I was missing out on some great aggressive calling technique that would bring a gobbler out of a tree so fast that you'd have to cinch your belt up to keep from being "compromised". 

I, too, like to get after a bird with the calling when the time is right,....and just like you pointed out, it's a lot more fun to recollect on the times it works!  But that holds true for all calling styles now doesn't it? Image

Jim

JPH

Postby JPH » January 7th, 2009, 5:50 pm

ORIGINAL: Gobblerman

....and just like you pointed out, it's a lot more fun to recollect on the times it works!  But that holds true for all calling styles now doesn't it? [;)]

LOL! Yeah, it's not as cool to tell about the time you called in a bird by not calling.

The only times that hard calling to a roosted bird has paid off is when I have been confronted with hens that were cutting on the limb. I have dueled with them and had them come down, bringing the gobbler with them. But I think I may have been in the choice strut zone to begin with.

PreviousNext

Return to Strategies