spring stratigies

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
eddie234

RE: spring stratigies

Postby eddie234 » January 2nd, 2009, 3:30 pm

I have a small area to hunt so my spring stratigie is to get into the woods early and set up a few deke's and wait the the sun to come up and start calling. It work last year, called in three birds that way and was able to get a nice jake.

JPH

Postby JPH » January 2nd, 2009, 8:28 pm

eddie, define "small area".

greyghost

Postby greyghost » January 3rd, 2009, 1:17 am

ORIGINAL: grunt_doc

Last spring, I got into a heated argument with a hen that was leading away a tom and maybe a jake, too (which I though was odd)... anyway, I cut and purred, and made all kinds of noise.  I even went so far as to start whacking my brother with my hat as if there was a fight going on.  I had never done it before, but using a diaphragm AND a box call at the same time really sounded like a fight.  didn't pay off, though.

so my question is, If I plan on challanging a boss hen...should I be the new fiesty gal, or the old gnarly broad who means buisness?  (Freud would have a field day with that question) Who do you think would get the boss hen's attention and anger enough to investigate...dragging the tom with her?

GD, that is a tough situation. Like JPH stated a long shot. I have found that when I am left sitting and the hen drags the gob off, I will try to get around on them knowing or guessing where they are headed and get set up. Then use only very soft calls like purr/cluck along with a spit and drum (I do with my mouth). The softer calling seems maybe not to challenge the hen as much and the spit and drum once the gob is within hearing it say 80 yards on a calm day, that it may be close enough for the gob to break from the hen to just come a little way to investagate. Again another shot with some success. If that does not work will try and find another bird that wants to play and then come back to the last spot the gob showed some interest if I do not find another one.

Of course this will lead to some how loud or aggresive should I get. I call no louder then the birds are that day and try to take the as they say the birds tempature. There is times for agressive calling and times for soft calling and times to shut up. Thats part of the fun trying to figure that out. But I do feel that a lot of folks today overcall or call to loud. I have seen it myself where folks are working a bird with calling that makes me question if I would want to mate a women that sounds that loud or agressive and the gob just turns off. Of course then you question if softer or no more calling would have worked. Let the games begin.

Earl

JPH

Postby JPH » January 3rd, 2009, 4:07 am

ORIGINAL: greyghost
I do feel that a lot of folks today overcall or call to loud.

Herein lies yet another great turkey hunting debate, although a much more civil one that others that rage here.

I am respectfully of the opposite school of thought. Clearly there is a time for silence and a skillful caller knows when that is, but as a rule the more I call, the more turkeys I kill.

My simply advice to new turkey hunters is to get out there and mix it up with those birds. You will not improve as a caller by NOT calling.

Note: For some odd reason this type of statement will make some "old school" hunters angry. I do not get why, but it does. So please know that I am merely offering my own advice and limited insight into turkey hunting/calling and am not trying to overthrow the world.

greyghost

Postby greyghost » January 3rd, 2009, 5:19 am

Yep so true. Debate's that is.

Sorry did not mean to step on your toes or anyone elses with that statement. It was just my opinion and thought of observations. 

My statement to clarify a little more on calling to load or to much along with another statement, which I should not have to be going into here "There is times for agressive calling and times for soft calling and times to shut up." The point and I was wrong for not explaining further (which I did not see necessary) that it depends if you are hunting public or private land birds, the time of season, early or late, how much presuure the birds have been subjected to and more.

Heck I consider myself a somewhat agressive caller. Runner gunner, not known to let grass grow under me.

The beginning hunter needs only to learn from the turkey itself like I am sure we all have no matter who says what on this board or others.

NOTE: JPH, you keep referring to OLD SCHOOL. I do not follow because of years past and the way they done things or someones age and the way they do things. Just remeber I think you said you were 37, well a 12 year old could take you for old school. Believe me one day it will happen.

On the NOT calling statement I guess that was what you were referring to when you said,  "For some odd reason this type of statement will make some "old school" hunters angry. I do not get why, but it does". Well you answered yourself, I DO NOT GET WHY.

You have made statements on here about others imposing their school of thought, well, "You will not improve as a caller by NOT calling". Your School?

Come on JPH you seem like a great guy and knowledgeable hunter with good information for others, but don't try to break down or tear apart others statements everytime someone else posts their thoughts. Just respond to a post with your thoughts and inputs. You do not have to put all the old school statement on there, I got news for you, There Is "No Old School".

Impravise, adapt and adjust, that is the only school.

Don't get me wrong, I like what you say its just that implying others styles or techniques are old school, the "old school" statement gets old.

Respectfully submitted,

Earl

JPH

Postby JPH » January 3rd, 2009, 5:46 am

greyghost, apparently I have failed to covey the tone I wanted. I will attempt to untangle things point by point.

To begin with, your initial post re. calling requires no explanation and I took no offense. I enjoy the discussion (debate was a wrong choice of words, I guess) that goes on between the "raunchy" and "hard to get" callers, that's all.

I was not the one who tried to establish control of the term "old school" around here. My reference to the "old school" crowd is about those who have made disparaging remarks toward other hunters because they enjoy using legal tactics and equipment that they consider to be "bad form". Now I am just using their own self-aggrandizing term against them. silvestris and his crowd know who they are. I have advocated more calling as opposed to less, and met serious resistance here in the past. I wanted to head them off before they jumped on me. If you have to ask, it's not about you. 

Oddly enough, I began turkey hunting when I was quite young. I was taught to "call a few times and shut up". I was taught to "sit right against this tree and don't move no matter what". In the sense that I am a veteran of turkey hunting before videos, decoys, enclosed blinds, and commercial camo, I am old school.

Sorry if you find my posts mean spirited. 90% of what I have to say is in jest. I enjoy pointing out the absurd and the hypocritical and I tend to do it dryly. I don't know if this helps, but it's the best I've got. I try to sprinkle a few more of these [:D][:D][:D][;)][:)][8D] into my posts from now on.

Morgan

Postby Morgan » January 3rd, 2009, 6:11 am

I got no idea what this means JPH...self-aggrandizing...but I will find out...[:D].....

Earl...some of these debates are a year old....and next year they will be another year older....[:)]...and I really think they are good for the sport....if they remain civil....

Yes there are several thoughts on how much to call and how much not to call....that's the reason we need to learn the turkey's vocabulary so we can carry on a conversation with the turkeys....I call as much as needed to carry on that conversation....don't do much good to make noise if we don't know what we are saying....or what the turkeys are hearing....
...Old Timers Gobbler Club...

greyghost

Postby greyghost » January 3rd, 2009, 6:14 am

Thats cool, see I learned a young word. [:D]

I guess you could say I am about as "old school" as one gets.

Heck when one of my best turkey hunting friends and I are in the basement my wife has to come down and break us apart. Not that bad but we get into it, he uses decoys, blind etc. and of course I don't. But he kills birds and I kill birds.

Just like these boards I really respect everyones opinions and thoughts. I lean towards Silves, Morgan, Turkey commander, Wistrkhtr and a few others since their styles and tactics are close to mine.

There are many of us that disagree and that I like, that is healthy for not only turkey hunting but hunting in general to maybe survive in this country for our grandkids and on. If we are this strong and opinionated then that will hopefully carry on up the chain to the lawmakers. Lets hope so. 

WisTrkHtr I think is one of the youngest old schoolers I know. I think anyone over 20 to him is old. [:D] Yea I'am jeloues...[:D]

Earl

JPH

Postby JPH » January 3rd, 2009, 6:24 am

ORIGINAL: Morgan

I got no idea what this means JPH...self-aggrandizing...but I will find out...[:D].....

When you find out let me know. I just thought it sounded cool.

Morgan

Postby Morgan » January 3rd, 2009, 6:31 am

In the old days..we called it crowing....gonna use it on the bride when she gets home....[:D]
...Old Timers Gobbler Club...

PreviousNext

Return to Strategies