Shortest hunts?

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
Magnumdood

RE: Shortest hunts?

Postby Magnumdood » March 6th, 2009, 3:49 pm

My fastest kill, and the only one this fast, came when we roosted the birds the night before.  I saw where the big boss settled in, however, I have no idea if they change limbs during the night.  Luckiliy, we made it within 50 yds of the roost tree the next morning w/out spooking the birds.  Using my Leica 8x50 Ultravids I was able to pick out the big bird using the ambient light.  They flew down right at 30 minutes before sunrise (shooting time) and pitched toward us rather than away from us.  I rolled him as soon as he cleared the other birds enough to prevent shooting and wounding another bird.  It felt like an hour, but it was only 7 minutes.  The shot was a very short 26 yards.  I hit him just below the wattles and popped his head off.  I'm glad I had an illuminated scope.  I couldn't make out the proper bird without the aid of my scope, nor could I have seen a set of beads.

DMP

RE: Shortest hunts? or Longest?

Postby DMP » March 8th, 2009, 3:15 am

Have killed 3 within 15 mins of them hitting the ground.  First one was a single.  Had a buddy with me and located the bird and got set up.  Tom hit the ground and came on a string and bam dead at 14 mins.  Brother and I went back to the same spot two days later to hear two toms on the roost.  We got set up on them and both came in on a string and bam we doubled up in 12 mins.  Freak thing if you ask me because turkey hunting in never supposed to be that easy but hey im not complaining.

simpzenith

Postby simpzenith » March 8th, 2009, 7:20 am

My shortest hunt was probably less than two minutes and on public land. I walked to the edge of a swamp bottom before light. At first light I hit my owl call and got no response, so I decided to do a hen yelp. As soon as I finished, I saw a turkey fly down about 100 yards or so in front of me and headed to me on a dead run. Luckily I was standing next to a large tree. I stood behind the tree and got my gun up. I had to yelp to get him to stop or he would of passed right by me. I don't remember exactly but I think he was around 20 lbs. and had a 10 inch beard and 3/4 inch spurs. Now I had to walk the mile or so back out to my truck. It would have been nice to enjoy a longer hunt after walking so far in.
2014 MN State & Iowa State Open Champion
http://www.CallingAllTurkeys.com

maddogg7981

Postby maddogg7981 » March 8th, 2009, 1:57 pm

May 1st 2008 opening day in Vermont, I hooked up to hunt with my mentor for the first time in 10 years. I brought him to my secret spot where you have a choice of a mountain on each side of the dead end road. We went our separate ways at day break to see what we could strike up, covering as much ground as we could.I headed to an area where I was sure that I would catch gobbler on the roost. I heard a gobble on the other side of the road. After no answer on my side, I cut down to the field and walked the edge to where I thought I might be able to get one to come in.I set up my decoys,sat down,and a bunch of hens came off of the roost just inside the woods alarm puttin' all the way. !!!BUSTED!!!
As a ditch effort I gave 3 yelps. No sooner did I yelp I heard a gobble about 100 yards away,seconds later he toched down 7 yards from where I had sat down,seconds after that he was in the bag. A couple hours later, A couple of miles away I caught onto a gobbler. Out of exitement I left my calls in the truck. A couple hundred yards into the woods ,no calls,and a gobbler thats on fire!!!! I sat down under a maple tree and yelped with my mouth.No diaphram,just my mouth.In mid yelp I caught a glimps of him running toward me about 60 yards away. He ran up to about 15 yards. Another one in the bag. It was a bitter sweet victory. I was glad that I had limited out with my first 2 longbeard but disappointed that my season was over.

dwfish

Postby dwfish » March 8th, 2009, 3:03 pm

Over the years it seems like I haven't had many "short" hunts, but a memeorable one hangs on my wall.  I hunted a particular turkey off & on for about three years ... then actually killed him accidentally. I knew his voice, but this morning he was only half gobbling when I was about to shoot another "strutter" in front of me.  At this instant I saw this big bird come off the roost and sail down to within 30 yards.  He sounded like a jet plane coming!  He was on a dead run to beat up "my bird" when I saw he had some massive beard.  I shot him ... and when I went to check him out ... he had 3 beards totaling 27 inches!!  It was the bird I had hunted hard and killed him only 50 yards from where I had him in before.  Turkey hunting is crazy sometimes!!  {Dave}

mark hay

Postby mark hay » March 9th, 2009, 11:47 am

short or long they all get me wound up tight as fiddle strings. i have dealt with a few of each. but even the long ones end too soon to suit me .

'' old school turkey tactics ''

zipperman351

Postby zipperman351 » March 12th, 2009, 2:33 pm

My son ,Tommy shot a jake well there was 4 of them and we were seating next to a tree he was between my legs as a 9 year old should be,well they come out of the tree right behind us and i said just wait.The 4 of them walked right toooo the gun barrell man 5 yards it was awesome as any of MY solo hunts,,,,,,zipperman

mark hay

Postby mark hay » March 13th, 2009, 1:10 pm

fess up , zipperman,
who was shaking the most ? you or your son ?

CHELSEA.

Postby CHELSEA. » March 13th, 2009, 4:39 pm

[font=tahoma]MY FIRST TURKEY I KILLED IN LIKE [font=tahoma]FIFTEEN TO TWENTY MINTUES.[font=tahoma]NO LIE.[font=tahoma]IT FLEW OUTTA THE TREE, WALKED IN..[font=tahoma]MEANTIME A HEN LANDED RIGHT NEXT TO STEVE AND I[font=tahoma]THE GOBBLER WALKED OUT FROM BEHIND A TREE...[font=tahoma]BOOM! [font=tahoma]BIRD DOWN.!!
ITS ALL FUN AND GAMES TILL YOUR BEAT BY A GIRL!

StevePA

Postby StevePA » March 13th, 2009, 6:05 pm

ORIGINAL: CHELSEA.

[align=center][font=tahoma]MY FIRST TURKEY I KILLED IN LIKE [align=center][font=tahoma]FIFTEEN TO TWENTY MINTUES.[align=center][font=tahoma]NO LIE.[align=center][font=tahoma]IT FLEW OUTTA THE TREE, WALKED IN..[align=center][font=tahoma]MEANTIME A HEN LANDED RIGHT NEXT TO STEVE AND I[align=center][font=tahoma]THE GOBBLER WALKED OUT FROM BEHIND A TREE...[align=center][font=tahoma]BOOM! [align=center][font=tahoma]BIRD DOWN.!!

Hahaha...How about the first one at the farm?....The one you have the wingbone call from?
turkeykiller

PreviousNext

Return to Strategies