Layout Blinds

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
NEStrut

Layout Blinds

Postby NEStrut » March 31st, 2009, 5:50 am

Was messing around in my basement yesterday, and had an idea.

I saw my layout blind sitting in the corner, and was wondering if anybody ever thought of using, or had used a duck/goose hunting layout blind for trying to get close to turkeys that seem to hangout in the middle if the field all the time? If you camo them up really good, might just look like a rise in the field, or a log.

I know you'd have to be quick when you sat up to take a shot, because you'd spook them. But, if you got them close enough first, you should have time for a shot. Just wondering if anybody has tried this, or what people think of this.

grunt_doc

RE: Layout Blinds

Postby grunt_doc » March 31st, 2009, 6:09 am

I thikn it could work, but I wouldn't like the fact that your field of vision would be more or less "up."  Jumping out of a cake and yelling suprise before blasting a big ol' tom would be fun, but with no real way of knowing what has walked in around you, I would really hesitate.  Even on private land you never know.  You might be able to lay on you belly, more or less in the prone position, with your gun sticking out the "back" of the blind and grease 'em sniper style. 

I've thoght about it myself, though.  I would end up snoring my way through the morning if I were to lay down in a comfy blind like that. 

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » March 31st, 2009, 6:22 am

They also have those hay bail blinds
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

NEStrut

Postby NEStrut » March 31st, 2009, 6:26 am

But, I think kind of like goose hunting, I wouldn't want to use one of those, unless there were other bales in the field.

But, if there were, that would be a great idea.

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » March 31st, 2009, 7:17 am

> Jumping out of a cake and yelling suprise before blasting a big ol' tom would be fun... <

If that involves dressing in camo drag, count me out.  [:D]

Many a turkey hunter has dug a pit blind to remedy field turkeys. 360 degree field of view and it can be filled back in after use. Just make sure you have the landowner's permission first. This is a method often sucessfully employed by wildlife photographers in wooded areas as well.
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

Ozarks Hillbilly

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » March 31st, 2009, 7:18 am

Scott Bestul wrote in a Field and Stream article about Preston Pittman watching as a large gobbler pitched down into a large field and stayed there strutting all morning and not respond to his calls. He dug a shallow pit blind in the field and was lying in it the following morning as the bird pitched down into gun range.

Not my type of hunting but just posted this to let you know that someone has tried it and had found success in doing so.
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

NEStrut

Postby NEStrut » March 31st, 2009, 10:32 am

Must admit, it wouldn't be my first choice of tactic. But, if there was no other way..........sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. [:D]

benhanson

Postby benhanson » April 10th, 2009, 5:46 am

i would find a turkey easier to work
Gun Control is hitting what you aim

Return to Strategies