"Bear" essentials (woka woka)

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
Steve_In

RE: "Bear" essentials (woka woka)

Postby Steve_In » March 31st, 2009, 5:45 pm

I would not worry.  A 10 gauge at close range should do the job.  I think you could get a shotgun in action quicker than a pistol.  There was a news story going around a few years back where a guy killed an attacking griz with a .410.  Jog and do some sprinting.  It is not about outrunning the bear, just your brother.[:D][;)]
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

grizzly

Postby grizzly » April 1st, 2009, 4:32 am

i don't think you have much to worry about doc had my first run in with a bear last spring i was a little worried i was sitting under a big pine when i saw him coming down an old log road he was flipping over big stones as he came i figured the best thing to do was to just sit there and not move he walked by me within 20 feet when he got pass me he winded me he froze for a couple min. then harried off .so my feeling is as long as you do'nt surprize them or get next to a ma and her cubs i do'nt think there is a problem. good luck on your permit my son been trying to get one for the last six mounths

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » April 1st, 2009, 4:56 am

I've had two run ins with Black Bears, once in my driveway as my son and I was going headed towards my truck early one morning, he stood their for a minuute and then took off.

On my way to setup before light it was light enough to see 50 yards ahead I met one on a logging trail, luckily he took off like a scalded dog in the other direction...he scared the birds off the roost with all his racket but at least he didnt charge me.

Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

arrowsonly

Postby arrowsonly » April 7th, 2009, 6:19 pm

I have lived, fished & hunted Northern WI & the UP all of my life we have more bears now than ever. They are more afraid of you and all the guys on this board than anything else in the woods. We are there only enemy! Weather it's day or night it's your smell that will send him running long before you see one unless you suprise it in some strange case. I will agree with one of the other posters that if you see cubs you better look & and listen for the MAMA! Make some noise & tree those cubs w/o getting any closer to them. I have hade over a dozen encounters while trout fishing, mountian biking, and bear hunting.
I shoot my one and only bear @ 12 yards w/a 42# recurve from a brush pile.

good luck & have a fun, forget about the bears & just hunt...
look em' in the eye before you give em' the shaft...
be a man hunt public land...

grunt_doc

Postby grunt_doc » April 8th, 2009, 3:06 am

Thanks for all the input.  I've hiked and camped around bears before.  I'm not really concerned, but I figured I would at least bring it up.  I got word yesterday that the ice is starting to break up.  That's good news.  Now we should be able to boat in, rather than walk the 10 or so miles on the RR tracks.

turkaholic

Postby turkaholic » April 10th, 2009, 3:12 pm

Maybe you will get lucky and see a bear. I was lucky enough last spring in Cooperstown NYto see one grubbing, rolling rocks over. I was a bit nervous but took in the show and it was awsome. I just sat down and watched him basking in the sun. I then slipped away and left him to his work.
live to hunt hunt to live

Previous

Return to Strategies