"Bear" essentials (woka woka)

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
grunt_doc

"Bear" essentials (woka woka)

Postby grunt_doc » March 31st, 2009, 5:58 am

Against all common sense and a strong drive to fill tags in a known hot spot, my brother and I are going to head up to the Adirondacks for the NY opener.  Unscouted, unknown, BIG woods.  The opportunity to (maybe) discover an untapped gem...or worst case senario...have a great weekend with my brother who I don't see that often is too great to pass up. That being said:

I expect to be pretty mobile up there.  We will only have one day to scout before the morning of May 1st.  For those of you who hunt in bear country, are there any extra precautions to take?  I know that hikers make lots of noise to make their presence known which is the exact opposite of what we will be doing.  I'm not really worried about late morning, but the walk in before dawn has the possibility to include running away while screaming like a girl [;)].  I kow that PA has lots of black bears...what do you guys do?  Any other ADK hunters around here?

I am going to bring a camera to document the whole misguided adventure.  We aren't even sure if we can even get up there yet!  There are no access roads.  Everything has to be boated in.  It all depends on the weather.  I checked last week and there was still ice.  We could be screwed from the get go.

tracebusta32

RE: "Bear" essentials (woka woka)

Postby tracebusta32 » March 31st, 2009, 6:24 am

Bring a .357 mag if it's allowed and good luck!
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

grunt_doc

Postby grunt_doc » March 31st, 2009, 6:40 am

don't have a pistol permit (yet).  Best I can do is a 10 ga. 

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » March 31st, 2009, 7:33 am

A permit shouldn't be needed as long as the handgun is not concealed and not worn in public (read in-town). Deer hunting by pistol is legal here in Michigan but they have to be holstered outside your jacket. State laws vary but I'd be surprised if they didn't allow visible carry in the wilderness there.

A 12 gauge with slugs is also viable bear medicine but since you'll be chambering turkey loads, a powerful handgun is the way to go. Pepper spray might just make them mad and I wouldn't want a bear to be close enough to me to be able to employ it anyway. One of you could carry a slug gun for protection while the other was the designated turkey hunter...just a thought.

Good luck and have fun!
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

Ozarks Hillbilly

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » March 31st, 2009, 7:34 am

I think when your in Bear country they advise you to where a small bell to make any bears in your area aware of your presents and to also carry peeper spray. They also tell you to be on the look out for fresh bear sign such as scat. You can tell the spices of bear from the scat that you find. A Black Bear's scat will contain lots of small berry seeds and rabbit fur. Grizzly bear scat will have a distinct smell of peeper spray and have tinny little bells in it.

Skin that one pilgrim and I'll bring ya another [:)]
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » March 31st, 2009, 8:04 am

I will have to remember that one lol [:D]

Grizzly bear scat will have a distinct smell of peeper spray and have tinny little bells in it.
ORIGINAL: Ozarks Hillbilly
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

grunt_doc

Postby grunt_doc » March 31st, 2009, 8:08 am

I'm not overly concerned about it.  I just thought I would bring it up.  The black bear population in that area is increasing, so I figured I should at least acknowledge it by gaining some info.  I know that a bear's sense of smell is fantastic, while a turkey's is not.  I thought maybe some bear country hunters would have an idea if the smell of bug spray or anything else would also alert our presence without the suprise and at the same time let us sneak around the woods. 

Unfortunatley, NY requires a permit to even THINK about a handgun [:@].  I guess it's time I get off my ass and get the paperwork done.

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » March 31st, 2009, 9:52 am

Where I hunt here in Pa has alot of Bears. Anymore I take a sidearm with me just in case. But a few years ago while scouting-small game hunting, my buddy and I got in the middle of about 9 bear in a hundred yard radius. They were just scrounging around in the leaves. One end had a Momma and 3 cubs. the other end had a bigger momma and 3 cubs from that year and one cub about 2 years old. My buddy was about to mess his pants and I told him to raise his arms and yell and fire the shot guns off a couple of times. We did and the bear took off. Just make sure to not get BETWEEN a Momma and her cubs and you will be just fine. Good luck! I hope you have a great trip!
If it gobbles,runs on gas, or is married to you it will give you trouble!

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » March 31st, 2009, 12:45 pm

I never had a problems with bears. They will usually run the other way. I was turkey hunting one spring morning after work, I worked 11 to 7 at the time. Well anywho I was calling and saw a black patch coming through some small pines, I thought it was a gobbler. It wasn't it was a bear. I stood up and slapped the side of a tree next to me while telling it, not yelling, it was ruining my hunt. It took off like it was scalded.

I figured it was in the next county by then so I walked down towards the bottom and there it stood, up on its hind legs sniffing the air. I then started waving my arms and saying, here I am over here. It took off again kicking up dirt as it was going. I had to laugh at that. [:D]
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

mark hay

Postby mark hay » March 31st, 2009, 1:21 pm

hey DOC , ,,,at the very least i would keep the breech open and a cartridge in my other hand as well as a good BIG light taped to the gun barrel and a head lamp,,,everywhere you look or point that turkeygun you'll see what is coming . that is the LEAST i would do.
the most i would do is utilize the same lights and carry a loaded pump or autoloader.

words of a wisconsin game officer : '' i'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6 ''

Next

Return to Strategies