Choke tubes that are ported

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
trkyklr

RE: Choke tubes that are ported

Postby trkyklr » February 26th, 2009, 2:38 pm

we hope the bird doesn't suffer...but with people willingly shooting 55/60 yards at birds some of them will...& probably a few of our fellow hunters to be honest..lets becareful while we are out there, we all got families..

tinker

Postby tinker » February 26th, 2009, 4:26 pm

If you can cleanly kill at 55/60 yards what is the issue?
If you cant safely shoot to that distance, stop hunting in a suburban backyard and get in the woods.
 Know your limitations and stay within them. Thats not reserved for just turkey shot guns, that goes for bows, rifles, scuba diving, driving a car...name it. That's just common sense.
 If your rifle groups 2 inches at 300 yards, great! If you can hit a kill zone at 50 yards with a bow, super! If your gun will kill a turkey at 55 yards, fantastic!
 Who is one to judge another if the hunter and his equipment is up to the task?

Tink

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » February 26th, 2009, 5:31 pm

Hey William,

Welcome to both this forum and to turkey hunting. This is a good place and I hope you'll find it to be a good source of helpful information.

Congratulations also on your new Mossberg 835. Those are good guns that just work season after season to kill turkeys.

If you haven't already, I recommend that you "deep clean" the barrel. Even new gun barrels have "gunk" in them that needs to be removed to get the most out of it. There's an article "Cleaning a Shotgun Barrel" at http://www.allaboutshooting.com that you might find helpful.

A lot of shooters use those Tightwad chokes very successfully with the 835/935. I would not be concerned about the effect of the dual porting on the barrel and the choke. That's just a part of the design. You'll need to pattern it to see how it works, with your choice of shotshell.

I would encourage you to try some 3" shells with your new gun. For many, they pattern better, cost less and will certainly give you less recoil and reduce the possibility of developing a flinch. I've also found #6 shot to flow better and pattern better than the larger sizes.

Lastly, I'd just encourage you to have fun and remember that the idea is to enjoy the hunt as much as the kill. If your gun will deliver a good even pattern at 40 yards, that's all you need.

Best of luck to you this spring and if I can help in any way, just let me know and I'll do my best.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

silvestris

Postby silvestris » February 27th, 2009, 2:45 am

ORIGINAL: TurkeyComander

There was even mention in one book of the practice by some of urinating through their barrel to rough'n it up.

I thought everyone did that but just didn't talk about it.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

tinker

Postby tinker » February 27th, 2009, 8:47 am

drink wine before or after peeing in them...?

shaman

Postby shaman » March 2nd, 2009, 6:18 am

ORIGINAL: TurkeyComander

Ported barrels and chokes are loud'r...I hate shaman missed my joke.

Nice article on cleaning...dry brushing in between shots at the patterning board can cut way down on plastic fowling.

Did you know that at one time in shotgun history it was thought by many that a rougher bore shot farther and harder ?
There was even mention in one book of the practice by some of urinating through their barrel to rough'n it up.

Yes, I did miss it.  It didn't register that it was pointed at me.   The ports did not seem to make it any louder.  What happen was that I bought a scratch-n'-dent  shotgun. About the same time I bought a fancy ported turkey choke from the back of T&TH-- back before extended chokes were popular. 

The barrel was a tad bent and was shooting hight, so I sent it back to Mossberg. They sent me a brand new ported barrel.  Now I had a ported barrel and a ported choke tube.  I tried it and it seemed to work. The choke tube had turned a 35 yard gun into a 45 yard gun, so I was happy. 
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

bpitts

Postby bpitts » March 2nd, 2009, 4:53 pm

Allaboutshooting, Thanks for your kind words and helpful info and all you other guys with your helpful insights. I have the regular ulti-full choke from mossberg, undertaker from H/S and the tight wad from primos. The primos is the only choke ported. I really like the 835 ulti-mag. I was going to hunt turkeys with my bow, but decided to use a shotgun until I learn some about turkeys. I drew a tag where I live in wisconsin, but they come in 5 day blocks in the spring. The fall season lasts from early september to early november. I may try the bow some then. But the short spring season I want the best chance and I believe that will be with the shotgun.

Jim Spencer

Postby Jim Spencer » March 18th, 2009, 3:44 pm

TurkeyCommander and mark hay are absolutely right - I wouldn't shoot a ported gun or choke if it was given to me, and I most assuredly won't sit down anywhere near anybody who uses one. I'm deaf enough as it is...

paboxcall

Postby paboxcall » March 18th, 2009, 4:22 pm

ORIGINAL: Jim Spencer

TurkeyCommander and mark hay are absolutely right - I wouldn't shoot a ported gun or choke if it was given to me, and I most assuredly won't sit down anywhere near anybody who uses one. I'm deaf enough as it is...

Huh?
"So much of this business of hunting turkeys, you stupid it up right at the last.
You do everything right for an hour and a half, and then you sit down here
and there's nothing you can do about it, you made a mistake."
Tom Kelly, [i]Turkey Tales

Beards n Spurs

Postby Beards n Spurs » April 5th, 2009, 9:52 am

Im under the other conclusion, My Mossy 835 barrel is ported and I put a solid Lohman Longshot Choke tube on it and it shoots formidable patterns.

PreviousNext

Return to Strategies