quite in the woods

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
Everyday Hunter

RE: quite in the woods

Postby Everyday Hunter » April 22nd, 2009, 4:11 am

I really don't think weather is the major factor in the responsiveness of turkeys to our calling and the breeding activity level in general. I've killed birds on nice days, and rainy days. I've worked them in the snow, only to get beat by real hens. Gobblers might go through a gobbling lull, but they still know where the hens are and are just as likely to go to them.

We've had a hard winter this year here in the north. While that might slightly delay the flock breakup breeding activity, everything is more dependent on the lengthening daylight than on weather, so by the time the season comes along the turkeys are on schedule. A few days of no gobbling doesn't mean much, and even when they aren't gobbling you might still be able to call them in.

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Gobbleking57

Postby Gobbleking57 » April 22nd, 2009, 8:10 am

I have hunted south Ga for 10 years and never seen the gobbling this bad this early in the season. We usually have our best hunting in mid-April and gobbling is at its peak.Something is different this year. We have also had reports of poults and hens already which usually doesn't happen until May at earliest. Gobblers are grouping up and hens are nesting already. So now its down to deer hunting turkeys and I hate to hunt them like that but its way too early to call it quits as long as we wait for the season.
When you see red pump the lead
North Coast Gamecalls Prostaff
Gobbleking Turkey Calls
Gobbleking Custom strikers

Redbelly

Postby Redbelly » April 22nd, 2009, 4:06 pm

Gobbleking57.......you need to concentrate on Chickasaw.  Your trophy is there, now go and be a good turkey hunter and get'im!! [:D]

Gobbleking57

Postby Gobbleking57 » April 22nd, 2009, 9:22 pm

Chickasaw will get my attention soon my freshwater friend.[;)]
When you see red pump the lead
North Coast Gamecalls Prostaff
Gobbleking Turkey Calls
Gobbleking Custom strikers

Redbelly

Postby Redbelly » April 23rd, 2009, 3:16 am

I heard there was one gobbling his head off at the other public place I hunt.  I think now till the end of the season they will do that.....right place, right time.

Previous

Return to Strategies