What should I do?

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
Waunpur4

What should I do?

Postby Waunpur4 » April 23rd, 2009, 11:12 am

Yesterday was the first day of my season in Wisconsin and I only heard a few faint gobbles, that may or may not have come from the property I was hunting.  I never saw a bird all day and heard no more gobbling.  I sat and lightly called for a few hours and then went runnin' and gunnin', but nothing.  Today, I didn't hear any gobbles at all on the property or surrounding property.  I did see 2 hens (seperate occassions) walking around in the field for a couple of hours, but no toms.  I called and couldn't strike one up.  Again I moved around, but nothing.  I can't stay until the closing hours as I have to be home when the kids get home from school.  I am going again tomorrow, but am losing hope.  I have had tough seasons before, but never where there has been no gobbling.  And to have 2 hens walking the fields for a couple of hours with no toms or even a jake stopping by has got me feeling a little depressed.  Anybody ahve any ideas?

gruntandgobble

RE: What should I do?

Postby gruntandgobble » April 23rd, 2009, 11:51 am

Keep the faith brother! Don't sound like your doing anything wrong. Turkey hunting is full of ups & downs. It only takes a few minutes! If there are hens, there are gobblers. Probably just henned up. Remain patient. Been there before.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » April 23rd, 2009, 1:24 pm

well said, gruntandgobble.
welcome to both waunpur4 and yourself.

Waunpur4

Postby Waunpur4 » April 23rd, 2009, 1:50 pm

Thanks.  I guess I was feeling a little down with only 2 days left to hunt (I can't hunt Sunday).  I've had hard seasons before, but there was always gobbling and I would see at least 1 tom.  It's like they all got sucked up into the great unknown this year.  At least the sunrise was AWESOME today before the thunderstorm.

Return to Strategies