Hung up Bird

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
ThicketThrasher

Hung up Bird

Postby ThicketThrasher » April 28th, 2009, 12:43 pm

I got a bird hung up today about 75 yds. out. He would answer any call I made but he would not move. After about 40 min. I decided to get real aggressive with my calling, he answered me 1 more time and then nothing, not a peep. He was either gone or just got quiet.
I think that maybe if I had moved in the safest direction that maybe he wouldn't have become so stubborn. This bird had moved about 50 yds. towards me to start with but then he quit. He couldn't have seen me because I was lying down under a bank. Maybe he got nervous because this hen he was coning to hadn't moved at all in 45 min. What do you guys think?

Ozarks Hillbilly

RE: Hung up Bird

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » April 28th, 2009, 12:59 pm

Next time you mite try to just go quite yourself and make him think you have left him he may break loose and come looking for you.
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » April 28th, 2009, 5:01 pm

Try getting as close as you can and cutt real hard to him then back up as if your leaving him, maybe 50 yards or so and hit him with a soft yelp, then walk back toward him and set up without calling....he will think you are 50 yards behind your position.

This has worked for me on hung up gobblers more than any other method, I did it last Saturday and the ole boy came running in, but I missed [:@]

Good luck
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

mossbergboy

Postby mossbergboy » April 29th, 2009, 5:15 pm

i think the bird was in his strut zone or as they call it a safe zone and with you calling that much he was waiting for you to come to him or maybe he is just an old mature bird and he does not want to change the things he does everyday. but to tell you the truth i think you might have called a little to much

Return to Strategies