matching camo

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
dogknott

matching camo

Postby dogknott » February 5th, 2009, 4:14 am

Does it relly mater if your camo shirt dont match your camo pants pattern, that dont match your hat or face mask? got a freind that says it needs to match, 1 pattern of camo. he can't belive i use my duckhunting camo to kill turkeys.

trkynut54

RE: matching camo

Postby trkynut54 » February 5th, 2009, 4:46 am

It doesn't matter at all. I mix and match all the time.
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 5th, 2009, 4:51 am

TC's correct. Except for the fashion concious around turkey camp, it doesn't matter.

I remember discussing camo with my mentor when I first started turkey hunting. He explained that when he started out he hunted in his work clothes because that was all he had. That was usually flannel shirts and denim jeans. He said it doesn't matter what you're wearing, if the turkey sees you move, the game is over.

Science suggests that turkeys do see in color so obviously drab earth tone colors would be better than an orange t-shirt. Modern camo is great but it isn't necessary and doesn't need to match. Setting up in the shade and not moving are more important.
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

thundrchikin

Postby thundrchikin » February 5th, 2009, 5:49 am

I've always felt that camo was made to help you blend into your surroundings,If that means different patterns on top than bottom so be it.Remember camo people are in business to make money.
canecreekcalls.com

sonofdsouth72

Postby sonofdsouth72 » February 5th, 2009, 5:55 am

have just started mixin up my camo patterns once i found the original mossy oak bottom land camo .
there never is a off day of hunting !

Ozarks Hillbilly

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » February 5th, 2009, 6:27 am

I say match or miss match either way you prefer. Most hunters including myself now wear camo of some sort. But when I first started turkey hunting in the 70's my father my uncles and I didn't have any camo clothing. I think by the late 70's into the early 80's we had all acquired at least woodland camo shirts. I believe they where all home made by there wives or in my case my mother. We killed turkeys before camo as we did after camo. I think there is an advantage to camo I think you can get away with a little more maybe with camo but not much. I know guys in my area that still just go out in there faded blue jeans or overall's and a shirt of some sort maybe camo may not and still kill turkeys. If you pay attention to the way you setup try to stay in the shade maybe put some cover in front of you and have a background that breaks up your outline and sit still when it counts I don't think it makes a difference what clothes you wear.

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » February 5th, 2009, 7:24 am

i think camo is more of a confidence booster than anything,minimal movement is the key to killin 'em

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 5th, 2009, 7:32 am

1 day prior to the very first time I had ever turkey hunted I got a call at the office from my neighbor, she knew I had wanted to go turkey hunting and that I had planned on going.

She called to tell me that her sister had seen a flock of 30 or more in the feild behind her house and that I was welcome to go over there and hunt if I wanted to.

It was Friday and the season started the next day, I had already picked out an area I was going to hunt but thought I would ride over at lunch time to look at this feild.
I had on a white dress shirt and tie, but was just going to look the area over. I got there and walked through the feild to the edge of the woodline and seen that there was a ton of acorns laying on the ground, so I walked up maybe 20 yards and looked around...I then noticed something moving and there not 30 yards from me was a tom in full strut.
I jumped behind a tree, my heart was pounding and I was thinking to myself wow those guys on the hunting shows said turkeys could see good lol.

I decided to go back there the next morning and needless to say I shot my first gobbler 15 minutes after sunrise. He is mounted in full strut at the house, 28 lbs,  11.5 in beard and 1.25 in spurs and I coulda killed him in a suit and tie!

Matching camo don't matter
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » February 5th, 2009, 8:46 am

Wow Trace, What a way to start a hunting career!

I'll echo what the others say about mis-matching camo.  I prefer not to match top to bottom, because when you look through the woods there are all kinds of different colors and shapes. You can blend in by being still, wearing drab colors just helps.

I have seen turkeys walk right past some silver tin roofing material that blew off a barn in a hurricane the summer before, but because it never moved, it became part of the woods too.

Now, camo that has become washed out or sun-bleached tends to stick out like a sore thumb.  I knew a guy who was Turkey hunting the next property over wearing a faded camo ball cap that shone like a lighthouse beacon every time he would move his head.  He never got turkeys to come close enough for a shot & couldn't figure out why. It forced the birds over towards our property, so I kept my mouth shut.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 5th, 2009, 9:01 am

I knew a guy who was Turkey hunting the next property over wearing a faded camo ball cap that shone like a lighthouse beacon every time he would move his head. He never got turkeys to come close enough for a shot & couldn't figure out why. It forced the birds over towards our property, so I kept my mouth shut.
[quote]ORIGINAL: Cut N Run

Now thats funny right there!!!
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

Next

Return to Strategies