late season bird question for you pros

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
shawn73

late season bird question for you pros

Postby shawn73 » May 10th, 2009, 4:06 pm

season is winding down here and i want to fill me second tag. I got one on opening day(with the help from you guys here i got one) but im trying to get one in the late season here. all the years i hunted turkey it seemed the late season birds are impossible and i usually give up a week early. any tips i would really appericate it.

trkyklr

RE: late season bird question for you pros

Postby trkyklr » May 10th, 2009, 4:39 pm

never give up....NEVER!

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » May 10th, 2009, 4:51 pm

Last year the last day of the season I tried something my mentor told me. He said if your hear one gobble just give some soft clucks and purrs about every 20 minutes and wait. I did that and about an hour and a half goes by and I hear one flying into a tree above me. He gobbled and sounded so close I didn't know what to do next. Then he flew off, I couldn't see him because of all the leaves. So my advice would be, if you hear one gobble just cluck and purr and wait him out, even if it means to sit there until quitting time. He will show up sooner or later.
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

turkeylimb

Postby turkeylimb » May 10th, 2009, 5:47 pm

If you have the time keep at it and never say no. use all the tricks you know and try anything.

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » May 11th, 2009, 3:21 am

Shawn-

No specific tips, just hunt them as you always do...but some advice- dont ever give up...keep hunting!

My best two birds ever were taken in Michigan on the last day of the season (May 31 st) which is as late as any season runs in the country. Boss gobblers will be henned up much of the season when suddenly they will bust loose as all of the hens have gone to nest and they find themselves alone.

I showed these spurs to Rob Keck, former head of the NWTF. Rob said- "I truly believe your best chance to tag a boss gobbler is at the end of a late season if you can hang on to your tag that long. Two weeks earlier these birds would have been henned up and you would have filled your tag on a subordinate tom."

My best two reasons for you to keep hunting-

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

JeffCoHunter

Postby JeffCoHunter » May 11th, 2009, 1:17 pm

I agree with Fan Club.

I think late season is a great time to get into some good birds.  In the places I hunt it seems that the first week of the season is good, then the second and at least first half of the third week is slow, then the last week or week and half is noticabley better.  Plus hunting pressure often drops off at the end of the season.  I generally try to be conservative with my calling and take a pretty passive approach in general at that point.

nhtrkybstr

Postby nhtrkybstr » May 11th, 2009, 1:54 pm

Shawn,

Never, I repeat, never give up! I shot a 19.5 pounder at 5:30 in the morning that had 3 hens with him on the last morning of NH's turkey season(May 31st). I had hunted this bird for 2 days, had to head to Florida for business, and when I got back headed out to my field and got him!

The point I'm making is, do whatever it takes, hunt every single hour, just keep trying. Go to places where you saw birds earlier in season. The hunting pressure will be far less, the hens will be laying on their nests, and gobblers will be frantic in their search for hens. If you can, go to a high point on a field edge, or ridge, and listen for birds going to roost. This will give you a leg up on where they are. If you have to work during the week, before you go to work, cruise roads right at light and use an owl, peacock crow or any kind of locator call you can. Remember, birds are fickle, and what works one day, won't work the next. if you hear them in there, try to get in the next morning.

I'm no expert, and have far less experience then alot of the hunters here, but try these things, and best of luck filling that tag!
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

Return to Strategies