to decoy or not to decoy?

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
nhtrkybstr

RE: to decoy or not to decoy?

Postby nhtrkybstr » May 4th, 2009, 10:19 am

Jakes can be intimidated by a hen. I think if they know the boss is around, they don't want a whoopin' placed on them!
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

ridgerunner

Postby ridgerunner » May 5th, 2009, 11:03 am

Well I said I would let you know. Hunt started bad, got up late, scared one bird while going to field. Got blind set up put out decoys, 2 hens and tail fan. After about 30 min. we had to get rid of morning coffee. Well quess what, saw 1 gobbler take off. About 1 hr later had hens come in decoy didn't scare and they feed around . Looked out and saw a jake with about 4 or 5 inch beard, while trying to tlak wife into shooting, noticed a big bird across field. He came and he and jake milled around about 1 hr. He never came into set-up, but my wife did manage to get a shot at 33 steps. Droped him dead, for her 2nd bird this year and 3rd ever. I would say decoys keep them close a somewhat interested, but did not charge in as early season dominate birds sometimes do.

woodswise13

Postby woodswise13 » May 6th, 2009, 6:28 am

well monday i used decoys and when the birds saw them they hung up and walked off???????? tuesday in the same spot no decoys and i killed a long beard??

beaver22

Postby beaver22 » May 13th, 2009, 3:51 pm

I think the biggest factor is what mood the turkeys are in. I have seen them come strutting right to my decoys and have seen them stay about 100 yrds out gobbling, which I believe they are looking for the decoys to come to them rather than them coming to them. Sometimes they expect to see the bird doing the calling other times they seem content to go looking for it.

SCPossum

Postby SCPossum » May 13th, 2009, 5:11 pm

I hardly ever use one in the mornings.  I seem to do a lot better without them.  In the afternoon, the success rate goes up when using decoys.  Seems like they often cause me more trouble than if I did not have them out. 

shaman

Postby shaman » May 14th, 2009, 1:49 am

This year was a the first time in 20 years that hunted more without dekes than with.  I don't think it hurt me any. It wasn't all that much a conscious thing.  There were just more rainy days where the rain gear was weighing me down and more days I was moving quickly and did not want the burden.  I filled my tags. I have no complaint as a result.

I am usually not a big decoy fan (pardon the pun) anyway.  I would be the last to criticize anyone with a deke, but I am the first to mention the practical difficulties.

1) The weight and the bulk
2) The chance of a decoy malfunction
3) The chance a deke-shy gob will be turned off.

. . .and the biggest turn-off: the fact that your deke set ties you to a place. If you want to move, you either have to leave the decoys or take the time to pack them up and redeploy them elsewhere.

Most of my sets are rather understated anyway; a hen or in the tall weeds to divert attention from the caller.  I'm now looking back over the last 8 seasons or so.  I can think of only one instance where a mature gobbler deliberately came to one of my decoys.  On the other hand, I can think of a bunch of times when hens and gobblers either ignored them or got shy when they spied them. For all the traditionalist hoo-haw  we've had.  I now find myself at the other side of the issue, remembering nostalgically the first time I saw a gobbler run to a decoy and strut.

Some of my decoys are getting a big old.  Last year, I thought about buying some new ones, but put it off. This year I was out of work and didn't have the scratch. Now I am caught in a dilemma, wondering if I might dump the dekes altogether.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » May 14th, 2009, 2:21 am

i traded mine for a double barrel....[;)]

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » May 14th, 2009, 2:56 am

ORIGINAL: trkyklr

i traded mine for a double barrel....[;)]

Good trade.

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Ozarks Hillbilly

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » May 14th, 2009, 3:36 am

trkyklr you reckon the feller you made the trade with is in the market for some more decoys? I got some I would part with for a sling-shot or a good sharp stick.
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

StevePA

Postby StevePA » May 14th, 2009, 7:34 am

Dekes are hit or miss....I have killed turkeys that would not die by traditional methods by using a deke or 3.....I have also spooked turkeys using them.... As far as the statements of them being time consuming or the fact that they tie you down..thats  BS...It takes less than a few seconds to rip a deke from its pole and tuck away...seconds at best....provided its just a roll up Feather Flex deke...which is all thats needed btw....
turkeykiller

PreviousNext

Return to Strategies