need help with calling

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
bodetis

need help with calling

Postby bodetis » May 16th, 2009, 5:36 am

i know spring hunting is over but one mistake i made this year was not knowing when to start calling after daylight, what call to make and how often to keep calling if you dont get a response.could some give me some advice and maybe share some tips for fall hunting thanks!!!!!!!

nhtrkybstr

RE: need help with calling

Postby nhtrkybstr » May 16th, 2009, 7:11 am

I like to start calling right at first light, while turkeys are on the roost. I love to use my slate for this, and my calls are soft clucks and purrs, just enough to get him to answer me. Once he has responded, I shut up, and don't do anything till he has pitched down.

If a bird doesn't respond to my slate, I wait him out. Sometimes they are just silent, and will not gobble. This doesn't mean they are not coming. I then switch up between my mouth diaphram, and my box calls every 30 min or so.

Hope that helped.
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » May 16th, 2009, 8:13 am

ORIGINAL: nhtrkybstr

I like to start calling right at first light, while turkeys are on the roost. I love to use my slate for this, and my calls are soft clucks and purrs, just enough to get him to answer me. Once he has responded, I shut up, and don't do anything till he has pitched down.

That's all it took to kill a nice bird last Friday.

If you're not getting any responses and you don't know whether a gobbler is in the area or not but you're in an area they frequent, call softly about every 10 minutes.

When you start "cutting and running," or what I prefer to call "sneaking and speaking," make soft calls every 50 yards or so, and louder calls every 150 yards. You don't want to blast away a close one.

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » May 16th, 2009, 9:33 am

The situation dictates which way I'll call.  I try not to call much until they are on the ground.  Early on, thee gobblers are usually with hens, but as hens start going to nests, you can get some decent action later in the morning by cutting and mixing in a few yelps.

A week before the season went out, I had a hen in front of me that cutt hard & quietly yelped a few times in the sequence. No gobblers answered her, but it was nice to have a live decoy hanging around and doing the calling for me. I try to use the same rythym she did and it has helped me in the last few years. Most of my success has come from cutting more than yelping the last few years.

You can practice with a diaphram call when you are driving around in your vehicle.  Put a turkey sounds CD in the player and try to copy every sound you can.  Go to a stste park that has turkeys, find where they are hanging out & go listen. It will help you sound more realistic, which should help your hunting. Practice & keep after it.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Return to Strategies