Think This'll Work?

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
mark hay

RE: Think This'll Work?

Postby mark hay » May 15th, 2009, 12:39 pm

Hey FAN CLUB, I went to the other thread and was looking at your pics. If you don't mind me asking , how do you go about cutting those legs in such a NEAT fashion . seems like everything I've tried ends up ruining the skin .

I don't mean to highjack ,,,,just curious . thanks

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » May 15th, 2009, 2:01 pm

Mark-

I put them in my bench vise and use a hacksaw with a sharp fine tooth blade. The edge of the vise helps keep the blade in alignment for a perpendicular cut.

After harvesting a bird, I take the legs off at the knee and put the feet and beard in a ziplock bag and toss 'em in the freezer. When I get time to process them, the skin has dried out to some degree and that helps you get a clean cut vs a fresh leg.

One of these days I'll post a photo of my beard board. I glue a one and one half inch long piece of 3/4 in dowel in the empty shotgun shell hull and cut the hull 1 inch down from the brass. I drill a hole through the center right above the brass to thread a cord through. With a spur on each side and the beard glued in the bottom, they display nicely when hung from a peg.

Thanks for the use of your thread Jim.
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

PAridgebirds

Postby PAridgebirds » May 16th, 2009, 10:24 am

I'm guessing that when you are following this bird around the mountain that you call to him, then he moves away and keeps gobbling. I agree with the others. 1. roost him 2. strut zones 3. less calling 4. more patience.

hunterjim

Postby hunterjim » May 17th, 2009, 1:25 pm

PAridgebirds,
     That is exactly what I did on Thursday, Friday he was a no show and on Saturday I couldn't hunt the ground because the landowner was there.  Now the season is out, so he had better be ready next season.  Thanks for the input from all.

Jim 

Previous

Return to Strategies