Think This'll Work?

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
hunterjim

Think This'll Work?

Postby hunterjim » May 14th, 2009, 7:59 am

This AM I was dragged all over a small section of the mt. by a gobbler that gobbled a lot.  Each time when I'd set up near him he'd gobble and move off.  I found that a couple of the spots that he stopped in were logging docks from a long ago logging operation.  I thought that tomorrow that I would go to the first place I heard him and try an ambush (not my preferred technique).  Do you guys think that he will likely visit the same places again tomorrow if he is still in that area?

Jim

Ozarks Hillbilly

RE: Think This'll Work?

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » May 14th, 2009, 9:12 am

Jim, you mite give the patience thing a try also. You stated he dragged you over a small section of mountain I would just be in a good location that he visited today since you already know he is willing to go to this area. Setup there and wait him out with some soft calling every 20 min or so and just be patient and wait to see if he shows up.
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

nhtrkybstr

Postby nhtrkybstr » May 14th, 2009, 11:01 am

I agree with Ozarks, Jim. You have a good idea of where he will be, so setup in that area.
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

hunterjim

Postby hunterjim » May 14th, 2009, 12:42 pm

Thanks for the replies.  I'm headed to the largest loading dock in the AM and hope he shows up.  He was busy this AM on the Z-roads that the logger cut in and spent a lot of time in and near the loading dock.  He was within 60-70 yds of me this AM but was around a bend in the road, couldn't see him.

Jim

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » May 14th, 2009, 3:26 pm

Sounds like a good plan. I'm not sure what I'm doing tomorrow. I might go to a spot where I killed a bird last Friday. The previous Monday there were at least three other gobblers there. I might just sit and call occasionally if I don't hear any gobbles from the roost. Good luck, hunterjim.

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » May 14th, 2009, 5:41 pm

I'd say your idea to set up where he has already been going is a good one. If he already feels comfortable enough to go there to gobble, I'd be willing to bet that he might have given up a few of his favorite strut zones, or at least the route he likes to take through that area.

I wouldn't call too much, especially if he moves away anytime he hears it.  Good luck.  Post pics when you get him.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

hunterjim

Postby hunterjim » May 15th, 2009, 5:22 am

Well...The turkey didn't read the script.  I didn't hear him this morning.  Heard a bird far off went to him and when I got close he stopped gobbling and I never heard him again.  I think the season is ablout to wind down, seems like the birds are roaming around.  Thanks for the suggestions.

Jim

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » May 15th, 2009, 6:52 am

ORIGINAL: hunterjim

Well...The turkey didn't read the script.  I didn't hear him this morning.  Heard a bird far off went to him and when I got close he stopped gobbling and I never heard him again.  I think the season is ablout to wind down, seems like the birds are roaming around.  Thanks for the suggestions.

Jim

Too bad, but if I were you I wouldn't give up yet. Here in PA we have tomorrow, all next week, plus Memorial Day. Most people are saying that things are winding down, but that last week can be great. My advice is to take a low-impact approach and hunt this bird's territory. He'll be there.

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » May 15th, 2009, 8:37 am

Jim-

You need to read my post in this thread-

http://forum.turkeyandturkeyhunting.com/tm.aspx?m=14863

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

hunterjim

Postby hunterjim » May 15th, 2009, 12:29 pm

You are right Fan Club.  I have taken several birds on the last day of the season in WV.  Unfortunately,  I have been after this bird in Virginia and the season ends tomorrow.  We still have another week in WV.

Jim

Next

Return to Strategies