Turkeys and rain?

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
jpb

Turkeys and rain?

Postby jpb » April 25th, 2008, 1:45 pm

Hey guys, My season starts Monday and the weather guy says its going to rain.If he is right for once i could use some set up help.I planed on setting up in an area with fallen pines,some standing.For the most part it is fairly dry and clear of lots of brush.I could also set up along side a field.The best side of the field has a stone wall covered with nasty brush.This is next to a cut that the birds use to get to the pine area.This area is near a small stream and can be quite muddy (have seen tracks and birds using this area to get to the fallen pines)with one or too fair places to set up.Or would i be better setting up with my back to the stone wall looking down the field.I was in the field thursday with my daughter the grass was 6" to 8" tall.
    I know its hard to give any help when you dont know the area.But any thoughts would help me put a game plan together before monday.If its not raining ill be in the pine area.It was on fire with gobblers thursday.Hens flew down into field and hot footed it over the stream in the fallen pine's direction.Thanks for any help.
Joe

allaboutshooting

RE: Turkeys and rain?

Postby allaboutshooting » April 25th, 2008, 2:03 pm

Hey Joe,

First of all, good luck Monday. If your "weather guy" is like ours, you have a 50/50 chance of a dry day. My first turkey was shot on rainy day and I was able to call him from a field into the edge of the woods. Since then, I've used that same strategy many times.

If it's really pouring down, I'd just set up in an edge looking out on to a field or open area. I've done that and had birds circle in behind me, so it's a good idea to be as alert as possible and pick out some shooting lanes on several sides.

Whatever the weather, I always remember that I just can't shoot one if I'm not there. Good luck and please let us know how it goes.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

jpb

Postby jpb » April 25th, 2008, 2:13 pm

Thanks clark. Im starting to twitch with excitement,LOL..Thanks again with all youre help when i was setting up my Nova.Im looking foreward to only having to hopefully drop the hammer once.
Joe

Otsdawa_Ridge_Runner

Postby Otsdawa_Ridge_Runner » April 26th, 2008, 8:54 am

Get out there tomorrow before sunrise as near to the roost as you think you can get without getting busted.  Watch and see where they fly down and walk off together.  I would set up along their route  before sun up on monday morning. 
"I wish to make no connection with any ship that does not sail fast, for I intend to go in harms way"
-John Paul Jones

silvestris

Postby silvestris » April 26th, 2008, 4:23 pm

I would stay home and hunt the first good morning for two reasons.  First, I don't enjoy hunting in the rain.  Perhaps more importantly, they don't enjoy the rain either and are less likely to respond yet they will respond to a human presence if you are detected in their preferred area, causing that area to no longer be preferred.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

JPH

Postby JPH » April 27th, 2008, 3:23 am

Do not listen to silvestris! Hmmm...maybe that should be my signature line? [:D]

Seriously, life is short and you only get so many days of turkey hunting before it's over. Don't waste one because of a little rain. Turkeys are not made of sugar, nor are good hunters.

You can expect them to be more quiet and move a lot more slowly, but they are still spring turkeys. Find a piece of high, open ground if at all possible. I would expect the birds to move out of the timber and loaf in the open. Don't be afraid to call and keep your eyes open for movement.

Good luck!

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » April 27th, 2008, 8:25 am

I'm not about to suggest when anyone should or should not hunt. I will say that the hunting season is very short compared to the rest of the year that we spend dreaming about it. You be the judge.

And...I never get tired of quoting the folksy Missourian, Ray Eye:

"They're just out there bein' turkeys."

Jeff
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

aj7873

Postby aj7873 » April 27th, 2008, 9:13 am

I have hunted in both good and bad weather.  Last year it was windy and raining.  I hunted a hay field with my back to the woods that cut at a 90 degree angle just 30 feet to my right.  Shot my turkey after about an 1.

This year I got busted the first day (Saturday - Yesterday)  I got in late and actually got in the woods at 6am.  BIG MISTAKE!  I got out of my vehicle and immediately heard 6 gobblers in succession calling from my right, left, and straight ahead.  Not wanted to get busted by getting too deep in to the woods I went about 50 yards set up and put out decoys.  In the span of 5 hours I had 5 birds get called, an cut around me.  More to the point it was supposed to rain by Noon.  It was a beautiful day and I got blanked by not scouting.  Turns out I was about 50 yards from a creek bed that every one of those birds travels and was subsequently blasted by 4 hunter to my right by 50 to 100 yards.    NO MATTER WHAT SCOUT, SCOUT, SCOUT.

Otsdawa_Ridge_Runner

Postby Otsdawa_Ridge_Runner » April 27th, 2008, 10:29 am

I've seen many a big boy die during some pretty nasty rain showers and thunder storms.  I would personally go if you have the gear to keep you dry.  Keep an eye on the field edges and try to make something happen.  Thats just my .02 cents

Mack
"I wish to make no connection with any ship that does not sail fast, for I intend to go in harms way"
-John Paul Jones

jpb

Postby jpb » April 27th, 2008, 11:35 am

Thanks guys for all the help.It isnt raining right now and we were supposed to have showers hours ago.Rain or shine ill be up at 4am and out the door.I plan on getting to the woods a little early so i have a little extra time to make my mind up..Thanks again wish me luck,its going to be my first turkey hunt.
Joe

Next

Return to Strategies