Pick your poison.

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
Duke0002

RE: Pick your poison.

Postby Duke0002 » July 27th, 2009, 2:22 pm

As most said, it depends on your hunting area.  2 areas I hunt are landlocked -can't get permission on "locked" areas.  Wish I could, as they are roosting and strutting areas.  I'm limited to calling them over to me.  I know where they are more likely to enter my permission land, so I set up there and wait.  I may change locations on the property -usually 200 yds max.

Another hunting area is larger and more diverse habitat.  I'll set up at one location, but if birds are sounding I'll move. 

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » July 27th, 2009, 6:22 pm

King theres a big difference between stalking and getting into position to call a bird in. Its been explained to you enough that if you don't get it by now something is wrong.
Theres young school and theres old school.
I'm still in school.

Gobbleking57

Postby Gobbleking57 » July 28th, 2009, 2:40 am

ORIGINAL: wisturkeyhunter

King theres a big difference between stalking and getting into position to call a bird in. Its been explained to you enough that if you don't get it by now something is wrong.

Depends on your definition of stalking Adam. To me anytime I decide to change locations in an effort to find another bird I am in the stalking mode between calling positions. I have busted too many birds rounding curves in roads and such not to be ready at all times to encounter a bird. Stalking in the real sense of the word indicates you "know" where the bird is at and you are trying to approach him un-detected. Detection is a very big part of being a successful turkey hunter since it is his eyesight that is his most effective defense. No one is gonna knowingly try and get closer than 100 yds on a mature gobbler unless the terrain allows it. This is when the calling comes into play.[;)]
When you see red pump the lead
North Coast Gamecalls Prostaff
Gobbleking Turkey Calls
Gobbleking Custom strikers

StevePA

Postby StevePA » July 28th, 2009, 7:16 am

Must be bucking for a writing job at T/TH..hence the influx of needless rambles..
turkeykiller

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » July 28th, 2009, 7:40 am

The thought of maybe having a chance at being a postaffer does funny things to some guys.
Theres young school and theres old school.
I'm still in school.

StevePA

Postby StevePA » July 28th, 2009, 9:33 am

ORIGINAL: Gobbleking57

Depends on your definition of stalking Adam. To me anytime I decide to change locations in an effort to find another bird I am in the stalking mode between calling positions. I have busted too many birds rounding curves in roads and such not to be ready at all times to encounter a bird. Stalking in the real sense of the word indicates you "know" where the bird is at and you are trying to approach him un-detected. Detection is a very big part of being a successful turkey hunter since it is his eyesight that is his most effective defense. No one is gonna knowingly try and get closer than 100 yds on a mature gobbler unless the terrain allows it. This is when the calling comes into play.[;)]

when its dark...No brainer Kang...
turkeykiller

StevePA

Postby StevePA » July 28th, 2009, 11:48 am

The thought of maybe having a chance at being a postaffer does funny things to some guys.

....and the thought of less value in short posts shows that some can not face the truth......
turkeykiller

Gobbleking57

Postby Gobbleking57 » July 29th, 2009, 3:05 am

when its dark...No brainer Kang...

Wasn't referring to dark at all. Referring to when a turkey's eyesight comes into play. Little difficult to stalk in the dark wouldn't you say?
When you see red pump the lead
North Coast Gamecalls Prostaff
Gobbleking Turkey Calls
Gobbleking Custom strikers

grizzly

Postby grizzly » July 30th, 2009, 1:01 am

hi guys as always work keeps me away . just reading threw i already posted on this thread earlyer. but reading the rest i see that we got off track and on to post size i know that my posts are short i'm not good at typing[:)] here are my thoughts i for one like reading all of your posts short or long wheather it's bobby and shamen stories i find them good reading or it's  jim and mark to the point posts i think i learned something form everybody here i think here is where i'm coming form the two men i looked up to in my life other then my dad were my grandfather . grandpa glen on my dad side was a farmmer and a man of few words form him  i got my love of the land and hard work never killed any one and as my wife says stubbron as a mule when i think i'm right . grandpa elmo on my mom's side a methodist peacher he could talk for hours form him i got my love of god and that we are here on this world a reason and how you treat your fellow man is how you will get treated.the point i'm trying to make is it dose;nt make a diffentice how long our posts are we're all here on this forum for the same reason we love all that is turkey hunting and we like to talk about it[:D] wayne[:)]wow this is a long post[:D]

singleshot

Postby singleshot » July 30th, 2009, 7:29 am

nhtrkybstr i've used both most of the time. cause the birds i hunt are kinda spookish.[sm=s201.gif] and the briar patchs in the fields get prickly.
John 1:1 John 1:14 KJV.

Previous

Return to Strategies