Pick your poison.

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
hoosierhunter

RE: Pick your poison.

Postby hoosierhunter » July 14th, 2009, 5:24 pm

ADAPT , IMPROVISE , OVERCOME ! SEMPRE FI !

GOOD LUCK, GOD BLESS, AND STAY SAFE !
L.K.LESLIE
HOOSIER HUNTER CUSTOM CALLS
MOSSY OAK PROSTAFF-TURKEYS
[img]local://214/2D3DFFE8352B41E3A81747EBOBC5F370[/IMAGE]

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » July 18th, 2009, 5:24 am

I would classify myself a "hybrid" hunter and I have used that term before on this forum to describe my hunting style.

As has been mentioned, a hunting style will usually have a direct correlation to the amount of hunting ground you have on any given day. Here in southern Michigan most of the property has been divided into smaller 10 and 20 acre tracts. You can't move around much without bumping birds, escpecially if you are calling to them.

On larger tracts of land I am much more likely to "go after them and try to make something happen."

Some quality posts so far in this thread. I can especially relate to experience and knowledge compensating for agility and endurance lost due to aging. Don't get me wrong, I'm still in great shape and can hunt circles around the next half dozen guys I hunt with...but I'm not where I was 10 years ago either!

[8|]
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

JW

Postby JW » July 19th, 2009, 10:31 am

ORIGINAL: Bobbyparks

Both methods work and result in flopping turkeys. Conditons dictate what method I'll employ. I've killed a few turkeys and there are days that runnin and gunnin works great and others that it'll just result in bumped birds.

Knowing when to switch from one to the other allows you to kill birds under more conditions.

On some days you can start off aggressively and tone down and switch later in the morning.

Western styles of hunting are different at least in my experinece in that the key out there is to cover ground until you find the bird pockets. My experienence hunting Merriams out west has been one of staying on the move until birds are struck. It's kind of like trolling for bass on the big lakes in the middle of the day. You can't just sit out there unless you really know alot about the birds and patterns. Where we might feel like we've got room to move here on a 200- acre tract you'd want a 1000 plus to your self out there or more. You can hear birds a mile away and see em about that far. I've had em walk to the call for a 1/4 mile, seriously. 

It's different there than the east because here (east) cover and available land is on a smaller scale and timber- foliage is different. Plus I think in the east you can set up with a better chance of birds to walk withing hearing distance and we have more birds per square mile.  

Also limited tracts to hunt are a big factor and often requires you to set up as you can walk over a 200 acres pretty quick.

I agree that it takes experinece to chase and move on birds and it's a learned skill to kill em. It by know means that experineced proficient turkey hunters don't spend many hours sitting and hunting an area.

It takes good scouting and woodsmanship to know how and where to set up and put in your time. It also takes methods and calling sequences and a bucket of patience

I know a guy that I'd enter in a run and gun tournament as he was like the Tasmanian Devil when it came to methodically covering  ground and aggressively getting after birds. IF they were at all prone to gobbling and this guy got in there with em, they were likely to die.

He'd tell you though that I killed birds on days he didn't because I'd sit my butt down when I thought it was time to and after hunting together he learned to slow down and hunt areas on certain days. I learned alot about moving and chasing birds from him and improved on my aggresive play book.

Alot has to do with preferred methods but I defintely believe there's a benefit to not being one dimensional and certainly no one should pass a judgement on how someone else chooses to enjoy turkey hunting.

What happens is at the end of the season we all have our birds. We killed them on the days that our approach would work and just spent time sitting or walking on the others.

Just a persective.

Bobby

You nailed it Mr. Parks!

Jason
Mossy Oak Pro Staff
Browning Pro Staff

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » July 20th, 2009, 11:24 am

No need to write a novel to such a simple question.
spring
Locate a gobbling bird get into position and call him to the gun. Nothing really more to it.
fall
locate a flock, break em up and call em back in
Theres young school and theres old school.
I'm still in school.

Bobbyparks

Postby Bobbyparks » July 20th, 2009, 11:49 am

Novels are much longer and I like to elaborate.  No one says you have to read it.
ACME PRO STAFF
Make Every Hunt a Blast With ACME Hunting Systems

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » July 20th, 2009, 12:04 pm

Who said I read it? [:D] Got bored scrolling through your ramblings.
Theres young school and theres old school.
I'm still in school.

Bobbyparks

Postby Bobbyparks » July 21st, 2009, 3:41 am

My rambling comments were made towards the content of the follow up post and not the original post. Sometimes original post evolve beyond an original question etc.

I've found it interesting as to how much you tell about individuals just by reading their post. Most are positive and a few are not. Some enjoy swapping ideas and stories and a few look for a spot to make less productive comments

I've  found that either thru arrogance or ignorance or general personality defects some lean more towards unnecessary insults or become self appointed critics.

I've also come to realize that most of these types lack the intellectaull capacity to even understand their own shortcomings and to argue or discuss issues with this type of person is a lost cause. 

Not saying your'e one of them but there are some out there.
ACME PRO STAFF
Make Every Hunt a Blast With ACME Hunting Systems

briar52

Postby briar52 » July 21st, 2009, 11:40 am

Well Bobby I for one like your ramblings. Gives me something to do since we don't have a fall season. Of course in the spring I may just have to scroll on through. In the near time, just keep up the good stuff. Again, I for one like it.
Jim

"Every failure brings with it the seeds of an equivalent success."
Napoleon Hill

(I was taught to respect my elders, but they are getting harder to find.)

JW

Postby JW » July 21st, 2009, 1:55 pm

ORIGINAL: Bobbyparks

My rambling comments were made towards the content of the follow up post and not the original post. Sometimes original post evolve beyond an original question etc.

I've found it interesting as to how much you tell about individuals just by reading their post. Most are positive and a few are not. Some enjoy swapping ideas and stories and a few look for a spot to make less productive comments

I've  found that either thru arrogance or ignorance or general personality defects some lean more towards unnecessary insults or become self appointed critics.

I've also come to realize that most of these types lack the intellectaull capacity to even understand their own shortcomings and to argue or discuss issues with this type of person is a lost cause. 

Not saying your'e one of them but there are some out there.

Come on already, just get to the point!  Just kidding![;)]
Mossy Oak Pro Staff
Browning Pro Staff

Dcoleinpa

Postby Dcoleinpa » July 21st, 2009, 4:34 pm

haha  ramble on my friend ramble on

PreviousNext

Return to Strategies