Pick your poison.

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
Ozarks Hillbilly

RE: Pick your poison.

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » July 12th, 2009, 6:51 am

I am not sure what my classification would be. I start out in the morning before fly down on a good high point to listen from where I hope to be able hear a few birds. I then pick one and go set to him and see how it works out I may have to adjust my position on this bird a time or two. If that fails to work and the bird moves off with some ladies. Do to the lack of gobblin in my area after say 07:00. I will ease slowly down a big ridge or a logging road or go to a good area and just call blindly hoping to drag in a Tom or a hen or two with a Tom in tow.
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

eddie234

Postby eddie234 » July 12th, 2009, 6:58 am

My hunting area is pretty small so I'm more of a sit and wait kinda fella. I usually set up before light and stay put till 9 or 10 then move stay for an hour then move for the last hour of legal hunting time. With those three moves I've covered all my land.
I do have a lease in Ohio I got last year that I didn't hunt this spring but with Ohio allowing all day hunting the last two weeks of the 2010 spring season I will be there

matchbook454

Postby matchbook454 » July 12th, 2009, 3:07 pm

I prefer to sit and wait and have personally had much more success this way and so have a few of the other guys I hunt with.  We also bump or push a lot less birds and I feel that this is very important to keeping birds on your property, especially if you're hunting small tracts of land <100 acres.  We hunt fields and smaller wood lots and not huge tracts of timber so we are able to scout and locate birds a little easier as well.  I have done my share of running and gunning and not that I wouldn't ever resort to those tactics ever again, but for now it would be pretty hard to persuade me to give up hunting out of my double bull!

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » July 12th, 2009, 7:42 pm

Ones that know how to properly utilize terrain and know how to call will kill more birds cuttin and runnin than turkey napping in my area. In experienced hunters are much better suited to stump sittin and will be more successful utilizing this tactic. 

Dcoleinpa

Postby Dcoleinpa » July 13th, 2009, 3:12 am

i do both

NMblackgold

Postby NMblackgold » July 13th, 2009, 3:12 pm

I know I am parroting Gobblerman again, but I am a product of my environment also.  With 2 million acres of public land to hunt, you could sit and call for days and not hear or see anything.  These birds we hunt can cover 2 square miles in a single day.  They mainly follow the water and the lush green grass that sprouts shortly after a spring shower.  So gotta keep moving to find em first, then find one that is receptive...

matchbook454

Postby matchbook454 » July 13th, 2009, 3:31 pm

ORIGINAL: icdedturkes

Ones that know how to properly utilize terrain and know how to call will kill more birds cuttin and runnin than turkey napping in my area. In experienced hunters are much better suited to stump sittin and will be more successful utilizing this tactic. 

Given factors such as terrain and hunting pressure I will agree that there are times and places where runnin and gunnin are more productive.  I have taken birds using both methods however the couple tracts of land that I currently have to hunt on are more condusive to sitting or as you call it "Turkey Napping".  A couple of my friends also bow hunt and although I have seen some people take birds with a bow that were not using a blind, it is far more effective.  If you look at our overall success rate, you will agree that we know what we are doing and can call birds. 

Bobbyparks

Postby Bobbyparks » July 13th, 2009, 4:54 pm

Both methods work and result in flopping turkeys. Conditons dictate what method I'll employ. I've killed a few turkeys and there are days that runnin and gunnin works great and others that it'll just result in bumped birds.

Knowing when to switch from one to the other allows you to kill birds under more conditions.

On some days you can start off aggressively and tone down and switch later in the morning.

Western styles of hunting are different at least in my experinece in that the key out there is to cover ground until you find the bird pockets. My experienence hunting Merriams out west has been one of staying on the move until birds are struck. It's kind of like trolling for bass on the big lakes in the middle of the day. You can't just sit out there unless you really know alot about the birds and patterns. Where we might feel like we've got room to move here on a 200- acre tract you'd want a 1000 plus to your self out there or more. You can hear birds a mile away and see em about that far. I've had em walk to the call for a 1/4 mile, seriously. 

It's different there than the east because here (east) cover and available land is on a smaller scale and timber- foliage is different. Plus I think in the east you can set up with a better chance of birds to walk withing hearing distance and we have more birds per square mile.  

Also limited tracts to hunt are a big factor and often requires you to set up as you can walk over a 200 acres pretty quick.

I agree that it takes experinece to chase and move on birds and it's a learned skill to kill em. It by know means that experineced proficient turkey hunters don't spend many hours sitting and hunting an area.

It takes good scouting and woodsmanship to know how and where to set up and put in your time. It also takes methods and calling sequences and a bucket of patience

I know a guy that I'd enter in a run and gun tournament as he was like the Tasmanian Devil when it came to methodically covering  ground and aggressively getting after birds. IF they were at all prone to gobbling and this guy got in there with em, they were likely to die.

He'd tell you though that I killed birds on days he didn't because I'd sit my butt down when I thought it was time to and after hunting together he learned to slow down and hunt areas on certain days. I learned alot about moving and chasing birds from him and improved on my aggresive play book.

Alot has to do with preferred methods but I defintely believe there's a benefit to not being one dimensional and certainly no one should pass a judgement on how someone else chooses to enjoy turkey hunting.

What happens is at the end of the season we all have our birds. We killed them on the days that our approach would work and just spent time sitting or walking on the others.

Just a persective.

Bobby
ACME PRO STAFF
Make Every Hunt a Blast With ACME Hunting Systems

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » July 14th, 2009, 4:21 am

...And a fine perspective it is, Bobby Parks!  Well put! .....excellent post!
Jim

Bobbyparks

Postby Bobbyparks » July 14th, 2009, 7:59 am

Thanks Jim,

It's an interesting topic with room for alot of views.

I do know that to hunt where you do you have to have good legs under you to carry out the search. I make a special effort each year to get in shape before I venture in the westward direction.

What I consider "walking alot" here does'nt hardly  get you out of site of the truck in places like you probably hunt.

Thanks again buddy.

Bobby
ACME PRO STAFF
Make Every Hunt a Blast With ACME Hunting Systems

PreviousNext

Return to Strategies