owl hoot??????????

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
woodswise13

owl hoot??????????

Postby woodswise13 » May 4th, 2009, 8:34 am

last week i had a few birds located a went to hunt them this morning.... i was at a corner of a big corn field where i knew they were early in the morning which meant to me that they must be roosting near by... so i owl hoot to try to locate a gobbler.. did it several times but got no answer?? not wanting to bump any birds i figured i just sit and wait for it to get light and then move in on a gobble. as the sky broke light i noticed a turkey in the tree just 40yrds in front of me cautious not to move i watched it wake up flap and yelp instantly a gobble just 50yrds to my right?????? how could this bird not shock gobble when i hooted???? anyways they flew down just out of range and fed off??????? i then moved in to the corner edge of the field yelped loud and had 3 jakes run to me across the field only to stop at 45 yrds when they saw my decoy ??? after they saw it" a sigle hen" they stopped and wouldnt commit all in all i had several great experiences today and will be there early 2moro set up on the edge where the tom flew down hopefully he will roost in the same tree tonight.

woodswise13

RE: owl hoot??????????

Postby woodswise13 » May 4th, 2009, 9:36 am

has anyone ever owl hooted and no reply but had a gobbler very close actually there were two birds gobbling off the roost at dawn ?????

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » May 4th, 2009, 10:06 am

I had it happen a few years back the night before the season I was trying to roost a bird and stopped on a logging road at dark and hooted with no response. The next morning going in I had just walked past that spot and a bird gobbled in the dark not 50 yds. from where I hooted the night before so I had to go back and get him.
Dosen't say much for our hooting does it!
Turkeybuster

nhtrkybstr

Postby nhtrkybstr » May 4th, 2009, 10:14 am

from my experience, turkeys are funny about shock gobbling. I bring a peacock call with me, and right at first light, I try my owl. If this gets no response, I hit 2-3 notes from the peacock. Usually this high pitch will get an immediate response from a turkey. Also, turkes don't always shock gobble before light, no matter what you use.
Hope this helps. Also, try a single hen decoy. It was the advice of some vetrans here that put me onto it. It works very well.
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » May 4th, 2009, 3:46 pm

I hunted with a friend and he hooted his brains out one AM.  We didn't hear a gobble.  I got my owl call out and got an imediate response.  Happened the other way around in another woods on another day.  Same with crow calls.  Hit and miss at best.  Also the birds may have heard you.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » May 4th, 2009, 4:14 pm

With shock gobbling, you never know what's going to pull their string.

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

woodswise13

Postby woodswise13 » May 5th, 2009, 9:07 am

Well they roosted in the same exact trees as the day before but this time i was where i needed to be the big guy gobbled several times from the roost flew down and strutted along with 3 jakes and four hens one of which i witnessed him mate with.. i watched and waited for almost 35 min before finally getting a shot... he was sportn an 11 inch beard and weighed 23 lbs..... i have taken several turkeys and a hand full of toms but this was by far the best day i have ever had in the turkey woods!!!! good luck to you all and remember HAVE FUN

woodswise13

Postby woodswise13 » May 5th, 2009, 9:11 am

11 in beard 23 lbs 1 in. spurs shot at 6:41 am

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » May 5th, 2009, 4:51 pm

Congrats. woodwise13 that is a real fine bird good job!
Turkeybuster

mossbergboy

Postby mossbergboy » May 7th, 2009, 2:00 am

Thats a good bird congrads

Next

Return to Strategies