location, location, location

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
allaboutshooting

RE: location, location, location

Postby allaboutshooting » July 8th, 2009, 6:12 pm

Hey John,

I really started thinking about that call and could not remember exactly where or when  I got it. I called Rod Haydel and asked when they first made those calls available. They shipped them first in 1989 so my thought that I'd had it about 20 years was pretty close.

We talked a little bit about how popularity of calls comes and goes and how using something that not everyone else in the area is using can work for you. No guarantees of course but when nothing else is working, it's always good to try something a little different.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Gobbleking57

Postby Gobbleking57 » July 29th, 2009, 3:12 am

Sharp aggressive cutting has always worked for me.[sm=rolleyes.gif]
When you see red pump the lead
North Coast Gamecalls Prostaff
Gobbleking Turkey Calls
Gobbleking Custom strikers

Duke0002

Postby Duke0002 » July 29th, 2009, 9:34 am

ORIGINAL: NMblackgold

I bought a crow call, Ive been blowing on that damn thing for 2 years and have never gotten a response, except other crows.....

I've crow called and got the crows going, then the gobblers chimed in.  Didn't do me any good since it was on non-permission land and I had a good idea the gobblers were there anyway.

singleshot

Postby singleshot » August 7th, 2009, 7:57 pm

i use a woodpecker call most of the time. one time i had a bird shock gobble to a squirrel bark call. suprised even me.
John 1:1 John 1:14 KJV.

SamuraiTater

Postby SamuraiTater » September 21st, 2009, 4:50 pm

Between woodpeckers and crows, there's usually enough natural noise that I don't go out of my way to elicit a shock gobble with a locater. But sometimes when dawn breaks, the sky lights and there's no activity going on I use a crow call to respond to a passing crow. I've enticed crows to come to my neck of the woods, start chattering and subsequently stir up shock gobbles.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » September 22nd, 2009, 2:03 pm

I once heard a bird shock at a woodpecker that was not screaming , but hammerin' on a dead snag.

Maybe we ought to carry a ball peen hammer and beat on a dead log once in a while. Once out of ten times ain't bad .

hawglips

Postby hawglips » September 24th, 2009, 3:29 am

When the birds are in the tree, I use a natural voice barred owl. If the birds are on the ground, I use a nice, loud box or long box as a locator. Non-turkey calls or noises are not a consistent in jerking gobbles out of daytime birds.

FireFly908

Postby FireFly908 » September 24th, 2009, 1:19 pm

I once read about a turkey hunter that mounted a large bell in the back of his pickup and when he went hunting, he would take his wife with him and have her ring the bell every half hour. He stated that it would get a shock gobble every time.

eggshell

Postby eggshell » September 24th, 2009, 2:43 pm

I once had an old wood hauling pick Up with a lose bed side (you know the kind you use a bungy to hold together). I carried a big wood stick in the bed and to scout an area I would stop on a ridge road and take that big stick and beat the top bedside of that truck, it made kind of a hollow vibrating bang. I can't tell you how many birds gobbled at that truck that would not answer an owl hoot.

It was real fun to take people with me that didn't know what was doing. I'd tell them to go to the front of the truck while I hooted at the back, to listen. When I pulled out that stick and beat the bed they'd about crap themselves.....those were the good days. Mark Hay may of heard those weird sounds as i used to cruise Green Ridge where he once hunted.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » September 25th, 2009, 12:12 pm

Well I declare , eggshell,,I recall hearin' plenty of ODD sounds from those ridges ,,,,,but the memory of hearing that big stick whackin' the truck eludes me . I wish I could actually say that I do recall. That would be a fine story to tell .[:D]

PreviousNext

Return to Strategies