location, location, location

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
JW

RE: location, location, location

Postby JW » July 8th, 2009, 3:49 am

I have aways used crow calls and owl hoots. I have never had a whole lot of success with either. But reading these comments got me to thinking I probably need to get me one of those peacock calls.

Jason

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » July 8th, 2009, 4:07 am

Hey Mike,

The very best locator call I've ever used is the pileated woodpecker call. It's piercing and can shock a bird into gobbling without, it appears to me, being threatening.

I first heard a pileated woodpecker in the woods, probably 30 years ago, and a turkey gobbled almost immediately. It was mid day and I had not heard or seen a thing until that time.

At some point, I found a pileated woodpecker call made by Haydel's Game Calls, Inc. Model PW-90. I still have that call.

A word of warning. This is not a call that you practice in the car, in your home, in any enclosed space or anywhere else a wife or family member might be present. Some type of ear protection is also highly recommended!

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

thunderchicken

Postby thunderchicken » July 8th, 2009, 6:33 am

thats a good post clark! I forgot about the pileated woodpecker call.

The PRIMOS peacock call I have is doubled as the pileated woodpecker call. All it takes it a little rythem in the sound to make the shreak of the woodpecker!
Impatience is hard to ignore, but patience puts the bird in the truck!

mark hay

Postby mark hay » July 8th, 2009, 11:02 am

All this brings to mind that morning this past season when as I stood in near total darkness , some feller up on the ridge started in with what I suppose was to be a crow . It did have the cadence of a crow , but it sounded more like a cat in tone . Before it was over I said to myself
''yeah , right '',,,,and too my shame and surprise that old HEAD OF THE HOLLER tom gobbled . At that point in the season I was doing a fairly good job making the barred owl with my voice . That gobbler had shock gobbled at me several times before that morning , but he shocked only at that housecat crow call that day .

Dcoleinpa

Postby Dcoleinpa » July 8th, 2009, 1:22 pm

one morning this season a gobbler started going off on top of a ridge so i got up there. i didnt know a guy was up there but he started cawing and that gobbler shut up. i backed out and went elsewhere

mark hay

Postby mark hay » July 8th, 2009, 3:01 pm

Same thing happened to me , I think on the last day .I was yakkin' with a hen which was slowly gettin' closer . Hoping a tom was in tow . This feller started in on his crow call . He had come in from a different road . It was no doubt the same hunter that made the housecat crow call. The hen shut up . Game over .

That hunter needs to get his teeth off that crow call , stop blowin' and start huffin'.

boone52

Postby boone52 » July 8th, 2009, 4:01 pm

I'll throw in my two cents worth about non-turkey sound locator calls----I use them less every year.
I've found turkeys won't always gobble to a crow/woodpecker/coyote call but if they are going to respond to anything, they will respond to short sharp cutts. I like to use a good sized box call starting with one short series of medium volume and then if no reply, one more louder series before moving on to the next location----I'm a run and gun hunter mostly.
I do stop walking and listen when a real crow or pilated woodpecter sounds off anywhere near me---or a cow moos or a plane goes overhead BUT-----I just think you get a higher percentage of answers back from a gobbler using what he wants to hear---real turkey noises.
But yes you do have to be ready sometimes in a hurry to set up if you use turkey sounds. Those lusty two year old birds (teenagers) will come on the run sometimes and catch you with your facemask down around your neck and your gloves off.
I keep a mouth diaphram call in my cheek all the time when I'm "trolling" (walking) looking for birds. Several times I've had to dive for cover when a bird responded real close and I didn't dare risk the motion of using a box or slate call.
I just wish it was April 8th with turkey season just coming in instead of July 8th--don't you all agree ???
Boone

thunderchicken

Postby thunderchicken » July 8th, 2009, 5:00 pm

I agree with you 100% boones! I wish opening day was a few days away again!

The fall season is a coming!
Impatience is hard to ignore, but patience puts the bird in the truck!

NMblackgold

Postby NMblackgold » July 8th, 2009, 5:57 pm

I bought a crow call, Ive been blowing on that damn thing for 2 years and have never gotten a response, except other crows.....

NMblackgold

Postby NMblackgold » July 8th, 2009, 6:00 pm

ORIGINAL: NMblackgold

I bought a crow call, Ive been blowing on that damn thing for 2 years and have never gotten a response, except other crows.....

maybe I should try the other end!.............hmmmm

PreviousNext

Return to Strategies