location, location, location

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
nhtrkybstr

location, location, location

Postby nhtrkybstr » July 7th, 2009, 1:14 pm

Hey everyone!

When you all try to shock gobble a turkey, what's your favorite locator call? Mine's a peacock call made by Primos. It makes turkeys go nuts!

Just curious what everyone uses.

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

thunderchicken

RE: location, location, location

Postby thunderchicken » July 7th, 2009, 1:44 pm

I just bought the PRIMOS peacock call and really didnt use it that much this spring, but I hear nothing but great things about it! I like to use the screaming hawk call or a crow call. I have an owl hooter and a coyote call. I dont have much luck with the owl hoot. I think maybe the fact that every buddy in the world is out before the season throwing the hoot at em and they just get used to it. I dnt like to use the coyote call because I feel that it just shakes them up a bit thinking there is a coyote in the area. I mean if I was a turkey I wouldnt want to give up my location to a coyote!

The bird I got in Maine this year gobbled to a hawk that screamed on top of a ridge! I know then it was GO TIME!

Impatience is hard to ignore, but patience puts the bird in the truck!

nhtrkybstr

Postby nhtrkybstr » July 7th, 2009, 1:46 pm

I agree thunderchicken!

Try the peacock, you won't be dissapointed!

I was gonna get a coyote call, but I thought the same thing you did, that it might rattle them a little more than I would like.

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

thunderchicken

Postby thunderchicken » July 7th, 2009, 2:18 pm

by the way, KNIGHT AND HALE make the screaming hawk call!

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » July 7th, 2009, 2:30 pm

Harrison Crow call By Hooks. It is loud and high pitched. Too many people believe a crow dont work, they dont realize that you  have to be louder and hit a certain pitch to get a shock gobble. 

Dcoleinpa

Postby Dcoleinpa » July 7th, 2009, 2:32 pm

in 2008 the hawk call worked great for me not so much in 2009. i had one going off to a crow call this year but i mostly just walked around quietly and listend or just yelped.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » July 7th, 2009, 2:33 pm

As this past spring was exceptional , as far as super tough , and quiet birds go , a year ago it was quite the opposite . The evening before season last year I located a longbeard by sight just before sundown . After he wandered down a ridge at roost ime we waited until nearly dark30 and hit an owl . Nothing . We scattered out along the ridge top and hooted back and forth to one another trying to get a gobble for location . Nothing . So I gave it one high pitched and long howl of a young dog or female and was cut off by the bird . The next morning I got him to gobble once again in the dark with that same howl . Finally the show started and there were no less than a dozen jakes and longbeards that came into my imitation of a love sick hen . One older bird with a very long beard came in from the opposite direction at the same time . There should have been a triple kill there that morning but my oldest son shot first then jumped up and ran to his first longbeard trophy. 
 Did I digress or what ? My point is a coyote howl just might turn a bird the other way ,,,,just like I have seen a nice hen yelp on a mouthcall, boxcall ,slate call turn them away , or it may work when they won't respond to nothing else .
 The woods where I hunt is full of barred owls and they still shock gobble at hunters and owls ,,,not every time but more times than not .
 One spring a few years back it seemed like over half the people hunting in that area had the new PEACOCK. It worked about like the other locators .
 A single gun shot went off down in a deep holler about 10:00 one morning . Well you know how fast your body reacts to a sudden loud noise like that . Yeah! I jumped a good'n' ,,,and a turkey gobbled down at the other end of the same holler.  No not at me ,,,the gunshot ,,I didn't scream that time .

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » July 7th, 2009, 5:09 pm

I like to cutt hard to see if I get a response from a gobbler.  There are usually enough crows around to make 'em shock gobble naturally...sometimes.  It doesn't always work, but it works often enough. Otherwise, I don't try to get a shock gobble much.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » July 7th, 2009, 5:29 pm

ORIGINAL: Cut N Run

I like to cutt hard to see if I get a response from a gobbler.  There are usually enough crows around to make 'em shock gobble naturally...sometimes.  It doesn't always work, but it works often enough. Otherwise, I don't try to get a shock gobble much.

Jim
Not trying a some sort of non turkey locator call is a huge mistake. If it only works 10% of the time you are that far ahead. You have time to set up, assess the situation move closer, end around etc etc

thunderchicken

Postby thunderchicken » July 8th, 2009, 3:12 am

I agree on the non turkey calls to locate turkeys. I do use the cutting when all else fails, thats just what I do of course! I like the idea that I can get a tom to gobble with a non turkey call and assess the situation and not have the chance the gobbler may already be coming!

This happened early on in my turkey hunting adventures. I had already shot my bird early  and my buddy still had a tag and we heard more birds to the west. We worked our way to a small food plot. Just before we got there I decided to try a cut on the box and a bird responded. While we stood there trying to figure out where to set up and we looked down the road and 3 gobblers were already headed right for us. Needless to say we were caught dead in the water!

Again, I am not giving advice, just giving my opinion!

Next

Return to Strategies