Good rain gear???

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
capnrock

Good rain gear???

Postby capnrock » December 28th, 2009, 8:15 pm

I am tired of being wet.  So I am considering buying some rain gear.  Now to be honest with everyone I have only one pair of hunting pants and a one coat/jacket that I wear for the entire season(spring/fall).  Neither are waterproof.  I haven't invested much money into turkey hunting until recently.  I am trying to purchase new hunting clothing based on weather and climate here in Missouri.  I have seen it snow in the spring and in the fall seasons in MO, and likewise it has been 80 degrees too.  I do not have the luxury of driving to BPS or Cabelas to try on all the gear listed on their websites.  I am looking for something for those cool or rainy days, that can also be bearable in the warm weather.  Do they make such a versatile product with that kind of functionality?  Thanks

Dcoleinpa

RE: Good rain gear???

Postby Dcoleinpa » December 31st, 2009, 7:28 am

i got a great deal on some gamehide packable rain gear. I LOVE THIS STUFF great wind break and keeps me dry

arrowsonly

Postby arrowsonly » January 1st, 2010, 4:50 am

I have heard good things about "frog tog's" they are breathable! that is key in warm weather...
look em' in the eye before you give em' the shaft...
be a man hunt public land...

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » January 1st, 2010, 8:01 am

I have a set of GI gortex. It keeps me dry but it is noisy and the jacket it a bit heavy and I get hot.
South Carolina Low Country

nhtrkybstr

Postby nhtrkybstr » January 1st, 2010, 1:19 pm

I avoid hunting turkeys in the rain at all costs.
However, if I do get caught out in the rain, I have some Cabela's packable rain suede that has worked very well.

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » January 4th, 2010, 5:10 am

Hi capnrock!

Like you, I only had a limited camo selection when I would turkey hunt. But I must say that the best investment i made was in my rain gear. Not only do I use it in the Spring turkey season but I also use it for my other hunting excursions. Shop carefully. Look for something that will keep you dry and not make alot of noise.
If it gobbles,runs on gas, or is married to you it will give you trouble!

turkeylimb

Postby turkeylimb » January 4th, 2010, 12:33 pm

I use MasterSportwear from Dicks Sporting Goods. Camo has four pockets on outside one inside has hood 'soft' quiet waterproof will not sweat and pants that have pockets and you can stay out all day long. Best I use.

lastmk8

Postby lastmk8 » January 4th, 2010, 12:53 pm

Can only speak for what I have but there is quite a deal on some rain gear at Cablea's right now.  I use the Cabela's Dry Plus packable rain gear.  Both the jacket and pants, will want suspenders for the pants.  Although listed as "packable" rain gear I used these Deer and Elk hunting in Washington this past fall.  I used them as outerwear the entire time, not much rain deer hunting but plenty of the wet stuff elk hunting.  As for the preformance, I was extremely pleased with performance at the price I paid, and now they are selling for half of what I paid.  I'm picking up an extra set, can't beat the price, and am very pleased with performance, in the field, in the rain and anywhere in the woods.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » January 7th, 2010, 3:57 am

I have a set of Columbia insulated jacket & bibs that are waterproof which work great in early spring if it is raining or not.  For warmer weather I have a lightweight GoreTex jacket & pants that I bought on clearance.  Both came from Sierra Trading Post and were substantially below the cost you'd normally expect to pay.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » January 7th, 2010, 6:59 am

I have two sets.

My Cabela's Rain Suede is a bit heavier and not packable, I just wear it all day of it's not too hot. It works well, is windproof, durable and quiet. A great choice as an outer shell if you also deer hunt in cold weather (with base and insulating layers.)

My other set is Stearns packable and fits well in the back of my vest. A bit noisier but much lighter...a good choice if there is a threat of rain.

It's been my experience that none of them "breathe" as advertised and if the mercury climbs you'll heat up. The packable wins out here because you can put it on over your regular camo and take it back off when the sun comes back out. Be careful though, a lot of the expensive packable stuff isn't very durable and will rip easily on briars and barb wire. My father buys a new lightweight, space age packable suit about every other year and they all get torn up.

Lots of choices...
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

Return to Strategies