What Odd Things Have You Learned?

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
turkeylimb

RE: What Odd Things Have You Learned?

Postby turkeylimb » January 30th, 2010, 6:49 am

I learned that make sure you have a shell in the chamber because you will not get a second chance.

Bobbyparks

Postby Bobbyparks » January 31st, 2010, 4:38 am

ORIGINAL: Bobbyparks

I learned that you can cram a 30"' long pig in a 24" mailbox and that even big boys can move quick and scream like a sissy when you trick them into thinking they're checking  the box to see if any other guest signed in and the head falls out on their hand and it slides out and lands at their feet.

I learned that shooting the bird 25 yards away is much easier if you remember to chamber a round before he comes in and not after.

I learned the first day I ever turkey hunted and lucked into killing a bird that to say to your partner that "theres nothing to it" might be the stupidest thing you could say and it automatically means you want get a good look at a gobbler for the rest of the season much less kill one

I learned that its not good to have that fresh hot cup of coffee you just bought from the Quick Trip between your legs without a top on it when you hit the speed breaker before you get out of their parking lot and that doing it once in a lifetime is more than enough

I learned that tying your game carrier in the back of your truck hanging out over the tailgate at 5:00 in the morning after you drank too much whiskey the night before is not a good idea unless you don't mind having it fall out and dragged at 70 miles and hour, scratch the crap out of your new truck and reshape the carrier that was borrowed.

I also learned it can actually take two whole minutes to figure out whats happening and that you can see a lot of sparks thru your sideview mirrow.

To follow others comments about taking care of business in the dark and in one interesting case for me involved laying my black flashlight down and then moving enough to be somewhat disoriented requires nerve and confidence to be sure what you're reaching down to pick up

You did ask "What odd things,right"?

I also learned when I was 19 years old that a 30 06 bullet doesn't just pass clean thru a wood duck like I thought it would and doesn't leave you much to take to the taxidermist unless you're just into a beak, feet and  ligaments

I learned as well that when you're sighting in your rifle by shooting off the top of your friends new truck, the reason your shots are hitting high is that they're skiming off the top of the cab and make impressive but un appreciated grooves and that you wouldn't pick up on it until after a few rounds as you can't see the top of the truck in your scope. 
ACME PRO STAFF
Make Every Hunt a Blast With ACME Hunting Systems

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » January 31st, 2010, 5:17 am

My brother in law learned that hunting out of your truck is a poor idea.

When muzzle loader hunting for deer one ball froster morning, he decided to sit in his truck behind a barn overlooking an alfalfa field the deer had been frequenting. Several deer eventually moved into the field and when they closed to within range he thought he would fill a doe tag. He also thought he had rolled his window all the way down. He had left about a 3/4 inch lip of glass up on his intended gun rest. He steadied his gun and fired...at the recoil, the front sling swivel stud caught the lip and the window shattered.

If he thought it was too cold to sit outside, I'm sure he didn't enjoy the ride home. The deer? To add insult to injury he missed.
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » January 31st, 2010, 1:01 pm

I found you can have fun at the 4H fair with a diaphram call in the poultry barn.[8D][&:][8|] 
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

Previous

Return to Strategies