What Odd Things Have You Learned?

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
jedipastorken

What Odd Things Have You Learned?

Postby jedipastorken » August 21st, 2009, 7:27 pm

Today was my day off and I needed some time in the woods. I headed over to our WMA land and did some hiking/scouting. Found sign of a couple big flocks roming about. However as I listened, I was reminded of something I learned this turkey season.

Paulding county sits right under the flight patterns for Atlanta Hartsfield Airport. Many mornings, I got birds going and talking. However, if I called during the fly over of jets - those same birds that a moment earlier were going off - they shut down. It was consistent on both WMA and private land I hunted.

Anybody else walk away with an odd thing you learned last season?

1Morgan

RE: What Odd Things Have You Learned?

Postby 1Morgan » August 22nd, 2009, 12:54 am

There are alligators in my spring turkey woods and I shouldn't get between them and their pond.
South Carolina Low Country

mark hay

Postby mark hay » August 22nd, 2009, 12:41 pm

Some turkeys aren't the least bit interested or even curious about anything other than what they have set their mind to do .
I was fall turkey hunting four years ago . After a long afternoon of having no activity and neither seeing nor hearing anything I decided to just sit in a stand af cedars that has a two-track running up through them . I knew the turkeys used the two-track quite often . I set up far enough back in the trees to force any turkey to at least step inside to look for the calling bird I portrayed . About 2 hours before roost , and with no sound at all , a big longbearded tom comes strolling down the two-track . He was alone yet he carried himself in that manner that says ''I'm lookin' for a fight''. When I first spotted him I gave out a gobbler cluck. He never flinched , folded a feather nor gave me a look . He just kept up the same fast walk , like he was late for a date .

[8|]?[8|]?[8|]? The farther he went the more gobbler calls I threw at him ,,,,,,it was as if I wasn't there , or he was deaf ,or he just had something pressing to do and was not about to be deterred .

Moonshine Gobbler

Postby Moonshine Gobbler » August 22nd, 2009, 4:10 pm

ORIGINAL: 1Morgan

There are alligators in my spring turkey woods and I shouldn't get between them and their pond.

I wanna hear that story

jedipastorken

Postby jedipastorken » August 23rd, 2009, 12:22 am

I think he was just waiting to be asked![;)]

Come on 1M - we're ready to hear it.

nhtrkybstr

Postby nhtrkybstr » August 23rd, 2009, 7:18 am

Well Jedi,

The one thing that I have learned about turkeys is that I have alot more to learn. I think if I lived to be one hundred, and killed dozens of birds, I could still be taught a thing or two from these awsome animals!

Point is, I'm learning and always will, and I would'nt have it any other way!

God Bless the wild turkey!

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

nhtrkybstr

Postby nhtrkybstr » August 23rd, 2009, 7:22 am

Mark,

That's funny!

Just goes to show, some days it just does'nt matter what we do!

Mike

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » August 25th, 2009, 3:50 pm

Ok Ok the alligator story...not really much to it other than a stain in the britches...

This was my 1st hunting season ever for anything. I was hunting the Savannah National Wildlife Refuge, I was near a pond. I set up about 30 yards off the bank. I had heard a few birds early but couldn't get a response and decided to move in their direction. I moved up the hill near the pond about 20 feet off the bank. I was moving north watching and listening and just creeping along a deer trail. I caught a glimpse of something a little to my left but couldn't quite identify it. It was about 15 feet in from me. At first I thought it was another hunter as I was on public land. Then it growled as it closed its mouth. It was an 8 foot alligator, probably nesting on an April morning, and I was between it and the pond. My gun was slung over my shoulder and I didn't quite identify what it was until I was in its direct path to the water. (Did I mention it growled at me?) I froze, I slid the gun off my shoulder as I started talking to it. I said, "Buddy, I'm not sure if this bird shot will do anything to your head or not, but there are 4 shells in this gun for me to learn with. I'm just looking for a bird here and am just gonna keep walking. I won't mess with you if you don't mess with me." I then eased passed her. Neither of us flinched. I got another 100 yards and kicked up 2 buzzards about 10 feet from me and my heart stopped...I soiled myself a little...
South Carolina Low Country

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » August 25th, 2009, 5:55 pm

Bears don't like to be tramped on when they are sleeping either!
Jon [:-]
Turkeybuster

nhtrkybstr

Postby nhtrkybstr » August 25th, 2009, 11:53 pm

Morgan,

Wow, I'm glad I don't have to worry about those things!

I would have soiled myself ALOT! [:D]

Next

Return to Strategies