Scouting methods

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
Cut N Run

RE: Scouting methods

Postby Cut N Run » February 10th, 2010, 12:37 pm

Here is another scouting method I sort of stumbled into recently; use the satellite pictures off one of the map programs online to find changes in vegetation (oak groves in pine woods, old roadbeds, small openings in big woods, cutovers, fields, etc..  It can reveal a lot more info than just a plain topo map. The two together are a huge help.  It can help you fine tune your scouting to more favorable locations from the start, so you don't miss someplace and walk right past it.

This winter I discovered a small pond that was in an old cutover by online scouting. That pond can't be seen until you walk right up on it.  It is small enough to easily shoot across. The deer and turkey tracks around it were so thick, they looked more like they belonged in a barnyard than in the woods. I intend to keep that spot under my cap until about the middle of turkey season once the pressure has caused them to seek less pressured locations, then slip in to see what I can pull out of there. I still wouldn't know it existed if I hadn't seen it from above. I spent some time cutting shooting lanes now so when the season rolls around, I'll have something for them.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 10th, 2010, 4:10 pm

Nice find, Jim.

I'd keep that under my hat as well!

[;)]
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

Bobbyparks

Postby Bobbyparks » February 11th, 2010, 5:57 am

Some good info on this post folks...

Outside of watching them, the most obvious and easiest way tfor me to get an idea of their travel route or direction is if they stay vocal awhile. I've had several situations where crows hung with birds that were quiet and I could tell where they were that way. I've learned to pay attention to crows. Most of the time I will only know the direction they headed out and won't know where they went.

Like Jim and others said it pays to know your property and pay attention to any sign from tracks, drag marks, droppings, and dusting areas.

Anytime I see a bird at a particular time of day I make a mental note .

Over time and with experinence you'll likely know more about where to start and listen for birds, which side of them to set up on, and where to set up on days they're not gobbling.
ACME PRO STAFF
Make Every Hunt a Blast With ACME Hunting Systems

hoosierhunter

Postby hoosierhunter » February 12th, 2010, 3:49 am

Good point about the crows Bobby! I had just asked if others used them as a locator tool in the afternoon, on the afternoon hunting thread. I am sure most do, but would like to hear from others on the topic, so as to show the newer fellas a hidden gem. Out west, those ravens have sure helped fill some tags, cause they don't miss a trick. They are helpful in finding downed game, or signaling bears ,wolves, or cats to a carcass. One should be careful when approaching the western raven flock out west.

GOOD LUCK, GOD BLESS, AND STAY SAFE !
L.K.LESLIE
HOOSIER HUNTER CUSTOM CALLS
MOSSY OAK PRO STAFF
[img]local://214/2D3DFFE8352B41E3A81747EBOBC5F370[/IMAGE]

Previous

Return to Strategies