Afternoon hunting?

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
shaman

RE: Afternoon hunting?

Postby shaman » February 12th, 2010, 1:51 am

Dangit!

I had a nice response that I thought I posted yesterday, and it never made it onto the forum. Drat!

What I was saying is that I would not be too worried about perturbing the turkeys through afternoon hunting.  I am forever bumping turkeys, and it never seems to change their habits.  We have an extended back yard.  Here's some pictures of it:

Pooh Corner-- the shamanic thoughtful spot

In the evening, I can be on the back of the house with KYHillChick sipping our cocktail and have turkey coming from all sorts of directions.  They come up towards the house and all of a sudden catch sight of us and spook.  A day or so later, they're back.  We have one flock that roosts within a hundred yards of the house.  They are by no means tame. They are by no means accustomed to our presence. Every time they see us it's like we're breathing fire and biting the heads of poults. Still, they keep coming back.

Another situation I can point to is the habit these birds have of roosting on the shooting rails of my buddy treestands.  Every few years, a flock will decide my treestands are the best place to roost.  Now you would think these birds would have enough of it after the first time I climbed up the ladder in the dark.  Fact of the matter is that they usually wait until I'm fully up the ladder before busting, and once they've taken a fancy to my treestand, the process has to repeat itself over and over to the end of deer season. Meanwhile, I have to put up with the filth and the fright.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

hoosierhunter

Postby hoosierhunter » February 12th, 2010, 3:33 am

Well Eggshell, I have no doubt that with all our shared experiences, and I mean all forum members, those new to the sport, or looking to increase their knowledge, viewing our thoughts on strategies, will experience good things when they hit the woods. I was a little concerned with maybe over emphasizing the filling of the tags, as opposed to enjoying the blessing of the hunt. Patience and wisdom,... it seems those are 2 virtues that come at a cost most generally, and I know I need a big helpin of both, so I know I ain't done bumpin birds either. I hope it is written somewhere, that we get the oppurtunity to meet my brother, cause I'd enjoy that.

It's amazing sometimes how much credit we give these turkeys, given the foolish things they do from time to time. For example, like Shaman points out as to their choice of roosting sites and determination sometimes not to bust. I too once climbed a tree in a climber, too find out at daylight that there was two gobblers roosted above me. They flew down to 60 yds in front of me and carryed on for a while before leaving,...go figure !

A tactic I have learned to pay attention to is, what are the crows doing ? I have seen over & over again that for whatever reason, crows and ravens have a predisposition of trying to aggravate the turkeys. Many times in the afternoon, they have helped myself to locate a bird or two, or a nice breeding flock. Any body else got a thought on this ?

GOOD LUCK, GOD BLESS, AND STAY SAFE !
L.K.LESLIE
HOOSIER HUNTER CUSTOM CALLS
MOSSY OAK PRO STAFF
[img]local://214/2D3DFFE8352B41E3A81747EBOBC5F370[/IMAGE]

eggshell

Postby eggshell » February 12th, 2010, 4:21 am

ssshhhhh husssh on the crow thing...i don't share that with many, LOLa man has to keep some secrets!

You are absolutely right, crows will tell you where turkeys are many times, particularly in the fall I have killed birds I would never known was there if not for crows.

On the weird place turkeys roost...one fall in Ky I killed an adult hen and my buddy wanted to chase the flock. So instead of packing her around I hung her by the head in the fork of a tree on the ridge out (properly tagged). Well we chased that flock until late and deeper into the woods than we had hoped, so the walk out brought us to fly up and roost.  When I came down the ridge I had to walk over a short bank to get my Bird ( I hung it out of site) and to my surprise turkeys started flying everywhere. They were roosted in the trees over and around the dead hen. Well we busted them up good, and the next morning was right back for our tag fillers. Sometimes I wonder just how dumb they can be.

P.S. I had to come back and add something on filling tags. I agree I don't want to make it too much about tag filling either, but on the other hand that is what we're trying our best to do. You know it's like mashed potatoes......they're good, but put gravy on them and they're great!

hoosierhunter

Postby hoosierhunter » February 12th, 2010, 9:56 am

Ya got that right bro !
[img]local://214/2D3DFFE8352B41E3A81747EBOBC5F370[/IMAGE]

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 12th, 2010, 5:41 pm

i have atually had more luck hunting birds in the afternoon for the past few seasons, 3 years in a row I have tagged out on the last day of the season during the last hour of daylight.
I contribute most of that luck to being out in the woods quite a bit during the season and knowing the patterns of the birds, most of the time I can't get them to make a noise until after 3 but just like anything you hunt there are times that everything goes against the grain.

The best advice I can give you is just knowing what the birds are doing at all times of the day, and the only way to do that is scout them.
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

Fargohunt

Postby Fargohunt » February 13th, 2010, 5:07 am

As a passionate novice to this adventure sport I have to say that this kind of thread is what this forum is all about.  Thanks cut-n-run for posting a great topic.

Though here in NY we can only hunt till 12:00, much of what has been presented is applicable to late am hunting in NY.  The more I read and research about turkey hunting, the moe I read about bird harvest in late am or afternoon.  Hey, hunting the roost...well, you won't get much argument from many regarding the excitment level and action, but it seems that at times that could get a little predictable and for those who truly enjoy the chess game strategy this sport offers, the late am or afternoon hunt must be tough to beat.  For the most part the birds are typically calling the shots, but in the am, we sort of know what is on their minds and they rarely waste much much time getting down to business.  In the afternoon, it seems to me at least, that the hunter must take more matters into their own hands and strategize for success. 

Mind you I in no way take for granted the roost hunt or am I suggesting that it could be construed as 'easy', but more often than not there are a few basic senarios that will take place off the roost, whereas, late am or afternoon the birds have had plenty of time to work through their initial urges and 'thought through' their personal game plan for the day.  Somewhat random behavior takes place, albeit, it has a distinct instinctive purpose, but as we all know, the best laid plans of mice and men, often go astray and such is the unpredictable behavior of turkeys.  To me, this make success a clear result of good woodsmanship and as it has been said with experience that good scoutingand I completely agree, is essential--that is unless you are blessed with lots-o-turkeys where you hunt.

This is just good stuff to think about and apply as spring approaches.

eggshell

Postby eggshell » February 13th, 2010, 6:29 am

There is still one more thing good about the afternoon.....most of the road hunters  are gone; you know the terrorist that do the drive by calling attacks, the ones that pull to a stop throw a few cuts and a cackle then drive off. The bad part of that is in the morning your working a bird and they do that and if he answers it, they do a a full charge assault into the woods, and it usually doesn't matter who's land it is. I have been way over heated at those guys more than once. Have I ever done it, yes, but I guarantee you if i see a vehicle parked I move on, I never call off a road where I think someone is hunting or I don't have permission. I rarely have that conflict in the afternoons, for the most part few people last past noon. 

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 13th, 2010, 7:06 am

The crow's will cackle at a turkey, or you for that matter. I'm not sure that's a secret but I do pay attention to them anytime of the day, they are locating something and sometimes it turns out to be a turkey.
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

Previous

Return to Strategies