Looking for recommendations

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
JHA

RE: Looking for recommendations

Postby JHA » February 17th, 2010, 9:42 am

I'd like to thank everyone for their replies.

Duke0002. I downloaded and read the book you referenced.
Allaboutshooting. I've read most of the articles posted on the site you referenced.

All good info. I think my next step will be ordering Brian Lovett's book. In addition,
I plan on going rabbit hunting this weekend. This should give me an opportunity
to scout some potential hunting spots.

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » February 17th, 2010, 10:44 am

"Turkey Hunters's Tool Kit: Shooting Savvy" by Jay Langston is a great book with lots of good information and a wealth of recent history about turkey hunting, turkey guns, turkey shotshells and some interesting insights into some of the personalities of turkey hunting.

I'd highly recommend it.

Thanks,
Clark

"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

old skool

Postby old skool » February 17th, 2010, 1:55 pm

EVERY turkey hunter should read "the old pro turkey hunter" by gene nunnery

mark hay

Postby mark hay » February 17th, 2010, 3:18 pm

Like my great granddad would say '' why Hello yes '' , ''The Old Pro Turkey Hunter '' ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it's fine food for a turkey hunter.

Ozarks Hillbilly

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » February 18th, 2010, 5:48 am

ORIGINAL: mark hay

Along the same lines as Treerooster , about getting inside the turkeys head , I recommend getting out where the birds are .Right now they are in big flocks . Some quiet observation will teach you a lot , plus getting to hear all the different vocalizations is paramount . As someone on the forum said, no better way to learn language than from the natives . At any rate , time spent watching and listening to WILD turkeys is priceless . Plus , you're getting your scouting experience in at the same time .Quiet ,,,,,,,,be quiet and still . Practice every aspect of spring hunting , except the calling . Unless your playing with birds in a non-hunting park or the like .

Tells us what you see and hear when you go out . Oh, and pack a lunch ,,,,,some of the WILD TURKEY SHOWS  last a while .

All of the books mentioned above are all good reads with lots of information in them. With that said what Mark has said is the best advice here so far IMO. Get out there with them and learn from them and learn your piece of ground and how your birds go about their day to day activities is the best learning tool out there.
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

Previous

Return to Strategies