Looking for recommendations

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
JHA

Looking for recommendations

Postby JHA » January 31st, 2010, 1:48 pm

Hi everyone.
I haven't posted since last spring. I curious if anyone can recommend some good books/websites for a 3rd year novice turkey hunter. I'm interested in developing my ability to scout/locate birds and some basic strategies to utilize after they have been located. Note - I'm strictly a public land hunter at this point and time.

Treerooster

RE: Looking for recommendations

Postby Treerooster » January 31st, 2010, 6:50 pm

The best book IMO for an intermediate to advanced turkey hunter is "Illumination in the Flatwoods" by Hutto. It won't give you hunting strategies though. Its written by a guy that raised and lived with turkeys from egg to about 1 year old. The book helps you understand why a turkey does what it does. Helps you get inside their heads.

A couple of books with more hunting type advice would be;

"Turkey Hunting A One Man Game" by Kenny Morgan

"The Greatest Wild Gobblers" by Larry Dablemont

Check the used book market first for any books you might be interested in. Some really good books go pretty cheap.

Duke0002

Postby Duke0002 » February 1st, 2010, 4:08 am

Here's one online.  An oldie but very educational -and its free!

http://books.google.com/books?id=CASbSe ... q=&f=false

JHA

Postby JHA » February 1st, 2010, 6:02 am

Treerooster and Duke0002,
Thanks for the recommendations. I'll check them out.

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » February 1st, 2010, 7:21 am

one that I am reading right now is Ray Eyes  practical turkey hunting strategies.. I love Ray Eye thought the book would be a bit more advanced, but should fit your bill perfectly. 

JHA

Postby JHA » February 1st, 2010, 7:56 am

Hi IcedTurkes,

I was looking at a copy of that book online last night as well.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » February 1st, 2010, 11:28 am

Along the same lines as Treerooster , about getting inside the turkeys head , I recommend getting out where the birds are .Right now they are in big flocks . Some quiet observation will teach you a lot , plus getting to hear all the different vocalizations is paramount . As someone on the forum said, no better way to learn language than from the natives . At any rate , time spent watching and listening to WILD turkeys is priceless . Plus , you're getting your scouting experience in at the same time .Quiet ,,,,,,,,be quiet and still . Practice every aspect of spring hunting , except the calling . Unless your playing with birds in a non-hunting park or the like .

Tells us what you see and hear when you go out . Oh, and pack a lunch ,,,,,some of the WILD TURKEY SHOWS  last a while .

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » February 1st, 2010, 11:34 am

Hey Jim,

Here is a listing of articles that you might find to be helpful. http://allaboutshooting.com/articles.php?tPath=3

There are some there that do not directly pertain to hunting turkeys but hopefully you'll be able to pick and choose and find something of value.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » February 1st, 2010, 1:27 pm

lovett williams has some good ones...
The Art and Science of Wild Turkey Hunting by Lovett E. Williams (Hardcover - Nov 1989)and try this site its pretty cool...www.nighthawkpublications.com....the best recommendation i can give you is get out and do it ...i read ben lees book it helped but experience  makes the best hunter lerar from your mistakes hook up with a seasoned hunter....just do it!!!
Break em at Night...Back at light

NYSuperSportsman

Postby NYSuperSportsman » February 2nd, 2010, 10:49 am

Hunting pressured turkeys by Brian Lovett. Good book. It might be just what ur looking for since you are a public land hunter.

Next

Return to Strategies