Explain your hunt...

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
icdedturkes

RE: Explain your hunt...

Postby icdedturkes » January 15th, 2010, 7:10 am

ORIGINAL: Big Daddy Long Beard

A few questions:
How do you know when to run and gun?
How do you know whent NOT to run and gun?
Do any of you use Owl calls or any other locating calls?
If you located a gobbler on the roost, where do you setup at? Under him, or within how many yards?
I know these questions sound stupid to some, but please understand I'm new to this. I enjoy turkey hunting but would like to see my hard work pay off with meat in the freezer!

Thanks Again!

Considering the size of the tract of land you are hunting run and gun may be your best tactic... I personally cannot stand turkey waiting and feel I can kill two birds in the 2 hours I spend waiting on one, so my answers are kind of partial..

When to run and gun? Run and Gun can be highly effective at any time during the turkey breeding cycle. With the large tract of land you have with any bird density at all, even when henned up their is a suicide bird somewhere, you need to find him.. Without all the boring details, the most important thing to remember when running and gunning is stealth and not exposing yourself if it can be helped.

When not to run and gun? When you have a bird sounding off in the tree and if you are tired in the afternoon?

Owl and other locater calls? When I do not have a bird roosted I owl as soon as I think I can draw a gobble from a turkey.. IF I can get him to sound off I just bought myself ten more minutes.

Other locaters= Crow, alot of folks claim a crow dont work throughout the day. I disagree, you need to find a crow that is louder and higher pitch.. Its about making birds gobble when they dont want too, not sounding exactly like a crow.  I use a crow first  at every stop when running and gunning. If I can pull a gobble without dipping into turkey calls, I am that far ahead. I know he isnt running in, I have time to decide on the factors to success, move closer stay put, proper set up etc etc

Roosted bird, How close?? Turkeys can not see any better than us at night. Essentially you can walk as close as you want if it is dark (early, no full moon). Popular media makes it cliche to set up 150 - 200 yards from the roost.. You are not going to kill many birds off the roost if you are this far and there is hens somewhere in the proximity... I get as close as I feel I have enough cover to not be seen while he is in the tree. Knowing the land is important as well and picking a proper setup in the dark.. The yards you can cut he has to come and obstacles in the way the better the chance of killing that turkey.

shaman

Postby shaman » January 15th, 2010, 7:45 am

A few questions:
How do you know when to run and gun?
How do you know whent NOT to run and gun?
Do any of you use Owl calls or any other locating calls?
If you located a gobbler on the roost, where do you setup at? Under him, or within how many yards?
I know these questions sound stupid to some, but please understand I'm new to this. I enjoy turkey hunting but would like to see my hard work pay off with meat in the freezer!

I generally don't run and gun, not unless I'm stymied or just looking for a lot of exercise.  I'm on my on 200 acres.  I know where they are.

I have generally stopped using locator calls, but this is only because I've learned to use the what's at hand.  Around my farm, there are enough owl, hawk, and other turkey aggravants that I'm usually in no need of doing it myself.  One neighbor has roosters and guinea fowl.  Another has a pet donkey. All I have to do is be patient and listen.

As I said in the previous post,  I stay well back from the roosts--80-100 yards.  I'm less worried about getting a bird at flydown, and more worried about setting up for mid-morning.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

Big Daddy Long Beard

Postby Big Daddy Long Beard » January 15th, 2010, 12:02 pm

Thanks guys! I appreciate the info!

hoosierhunter

Postby hoosierhunter » January 15th, 2010, 5:34 pm

O K Big Daddy, I see yur a fella hoosier, so I'll toss a couple nuggets your way from a fella who has hunted your area. Too be sure You have been given some great advice, by some good turkey hunters, so I hope ya was payin attention.
[:)] While your preeseason scouting don't use a turkey call of any kind in your hunting area

[:D] During preseason pay attention the green fields very closely, especially those located just at the bottom of the hills at the edge of the woodline.... if your seeing turkeys early am or late pm, your close to a roost....sneak in around late afternoon and wait till after dark...you'll be listening for wing beats as they fly up, and maybe a gobble or two after they hit the limb

[8|] Also if you have some hills with green fields high and hardwoods ridges higher yet, it would be worth the trek to investigate that scenario also

[;)] In hill or mountain country I like too do my run n gunnin just off the ridge line, so that while I'm hittin a loud crow call or box call, I can hear equally well on the other side of the ridge.

[8D] pay attention too where the crops are or were...clover, alfaalfa,etc.... with all the high water this past fall in southern In. a lot of farmers could not get in the fields to get the beans and corn out, so those areas are gonna be hot, especially if the above scenarios are present or there is a watershed, creek, river,etc. with large hardwoods adjacent

[8|] In all scenarios while I'm huntin turkeys, I always have good optics on my chest, 10X at least and get the best you can afford, cause they'll save your eyes from feelin like they just got sucked outta yur head at the end of the day. I use my binos as much turkey huntin as I do elk huntin... move 30-70 ft glass...so on.. and so on.

Good luck Big D and maybe I'll see ya at the In. Deer and Turkey Expo next month.

GOOD LUCK, GOD BLESS, AND STAY SAFE!
L.K.LESLIE
HOSIER HUNTER CUSTOM CALLS
MOSSY OAK PROSTAFF
[img]local://214/2D3DFFE8352B41E3A81747EBOBC5F370[/IMAGE]

heinzc

Postby heinzc » January 16th, 2010, 7:48 am

1. Scouting- Both the property I hunt and as much of the local properties that I have access to.
2. Practice- I practice mouth calling, and all other calls 365 days a year.  I am an archery hunter so I practice with the stick and string just about every day I try to hit 1" groups consistently.
3. Workout- if you are physically ready then mentally you can be prepared.
4. Rest-No sleep for two months can get very taxing
5. Set the early alarm for opening day-  If you get to the woods early it will give you time to settle in and settle down.

Good luck everyone, only 3 1/2 months to go.

thunderchicken

Postby thunderchicken » January 17th, 2010, 7:17 am

3 1/2 months too many!
Impatience is hard to ignore, but patience puts the bird in the truck!

heinzc

Postby heinzc » January 17th, 2010, 9:34 am

Your not kidding.  But with the help of everyone on here, videos on you tube, and the new found interest in making calls the time moves as fast as it can.  Hang in there it will be worth it!

mark hay

Postby mark hay » February 21st, 2010, 3:50 am

My $.02 on the locator calls . When I'm out , whether scouting , hunting or just loafing in the woods , I pay attention to the different vocalizations of crows and owls . By learning the way these birds will call at times , and then attempting to accurately mimmick these calls will only benefit you .
 To run into a dry spell , when gobbles are few and far between , and they do not shock gobble at a passing crow , or occasional owl , create your own scenario . I generally hit a crow in a common volume of crow talk . Don't want to blow the turkeys out of the country with the first hit of the locator being abnormally loud . After several hits at a normal volume , and still no responce , I'll become aggitated in my calling. Crows can get very loud , and rapid with their calls . I like to imitate a distressed or excited crow , and many times using two different calls to sound like two different crows . This will also likely bring in the resident crows for a look at what is going on , and they too will be very loud . If this happens , call to the crows , but listen for the gobble . Yes , sometimes the crows will make so much noise it can be difficult to hear a gobbler . But sometimes it takes such a ruckus to get the ball rolling so to speak .  When dealing with crows , they have eyesight as good as turkeys , so remain concealed in cover and be still . After the ruckus of your calling and all the native crows have been raising a loud commotion it's possible a turkey gobbled and you didn't hear it. So after a session of crow chatter , and you now want the crows to get quiet , and quickly , just start moving , show yourself to the crows and they'll calm down and depart . After they have left hit your call again , it can make the gobbler shock again .
 Owls will hoot throughout the day , not everyday , but it's not uncommon . I start with the one long note of the barred owl . After several of these , and no responce , I'll go into the full cadence of ''who cooks for you , who cooks for you all''. Keep it up for a while , with a natural pause in between . I have had turkeys shock to the one long whooooooaaahh. But have them also remain silent to it , and then shock gobble to the full cadence call .
 Nothing is for sure and for certain in turkey hunting . But on those days when nothing is happening, stirring up the native crows or owls can be to your advantage . It sure beats just sitting or walking around blind .

Previous

Return to Strategies