Not on Turkey time

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
TurkeyJohn

Not on Turkey time

Postby TurkeyJohn » May 18th, 2011, 6:38 am

Hi Fellers,

Have a new spot to try and the land owner tells me the birds show up mid to late morning.  Problem I have is that I need to be out of the woods earlier than that with work.  Question is, if the birds are in the area, is there any, "out of the box" method to get them in the vicinty sooner than later?  Or do I have to resign myself to getting in there when I can be on turkey time?  Thanks,
Hobby.....Is there anything other than turkey hunting??

dewey

RE: Not on Turkey time

Postby dewey » May 18th, 2011, 7:19 am

If the landowner knew what direction they were coming from you might be able to back track them from where they were coming and go after them there. Or posssibly roost them the night before and catch them at fly down. If not then I don't know if ther is a way to get them to come out sooner or not. Like you said they probably have their own time and they will get there when they get there.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

onpoint

Postby onpoint » May 18th, 2011, 2:46 pm

[:@]Depending on ur allotted time start working backwards along thei travel route every time ur out till u get near their roost site,call em to ya in their way to ur original spot. Be careful not to get busted or you could change their whole pattern. If u do u might have "screwed the pooch"!
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » May 18th, 2011, 4:04 pm

If the landowner doesn't know where the turkeys are coming from I would get in the woods a little earlier than normal and try doing some owl calls to get his location. If that didnt work I believe I would use a sick day and wait him out.
Is it turkey season yet?

Return to Strategies