SCOUTIN' RESULTS

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
mark hay

SCOUTIN' RESULTS

Postby mark hay » February 21st, 2010, 7:29 am

I finally had the chance to get down to the public hunting area for a look around . Albeit , I didn't get out of the truck . My 4x4 gave up the ghost and I'm drivin' Linda's 2 wheel drive Jimmy. All the lots are still snow filled and too risky for a 2 wheeler to get in and out of . So I just ginnied 'round looking where I could .
 Saw too groups of birds . One . a gang of gobblers , near the area I fall hunted . Couldn't get a good look , no where to park along the highway , but they were big birds nevertheless.
 The other bunch was a mixed flock , feeding in a picked corn field . Two of the birds were big and sportin' longbeards.
 Anxiuos to return and get some mud on my boots .

Cut N Run

RE: SCOUTIN' RESULTS

Postby Cut N Run » February 23rd, 2010, 8:22 am

I'm itchin' to get out & about to see what's going on at the lease.  I intend to do just that this weekend.  I went to Dothan, Ala. last weekend with my wife for her to pick up a new horse trailer. I'll tell you what, that is some pretty country.  There is a lot of forested land and not a huge human population.  It made me think back to before this place got as built up as it is. Southwest of Atlanta in Georgia was the same.  I saw a few turkeys in Alabama, including one longbeard that was by himself in a hardwood draw between two planted pine fields. I'm going to have to look into taking some time to return to hunt that part of the world.

Meanwhile,  I'll go see what I can find on our lease.  I plan to ease through a few of the regular turkey haunts to see what volume of sign is like there. I might throw a few limbs on the brushpile blinds we have.  I'm sure those high winds we had a week ago took down plenty of limbs.

I hope you find a gobbler with your name on it, Mark.  I'll post about what I see when I go scouting.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » February 23rd, 2010, 6:18 pm

We were out to the farm last weekend to cut some wood for the farmer. There was a tree that went down last fall that needed cleaning up on the fenceline. You could hear a group of hens yelping up in the woods and there were two Tom's gobbling to beat the band in with them. Made for a nice afternoon. [:D]
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Ozarks Hillbilly

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » February 24th, 2010, 12:57 pm

Mark sorry to hear about the Pick em up truck. What happened to it?

These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

mark hay

Postby mark hay » February 24th, 2010, 1:43 pm

Well , I suppose this falls under ''SCOUTIN'' too.
 Lost oil pressure , in a bad place and time . No where to go but forward .
 Engine is shot.
 Scoutin'  'round for another engine or possibly an economy car .
 Ain't seen any sign yet .[:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]

mark hay

Postby mark hay » March 7th, 2010, 6:59 am

5 longbeards pickin' up breakfast at the local WALK THROUGH  cornfield . Snow is almost gone ,,,,,thank the Lord.
No turkeys heard this morning .

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » March 8th, 2010, 3:21 am

What kind of truck and engine Mark? My Dad is a retired Master mechanic and can sometimes find hard to get parts.
If it gobbles,runs on gas, or is married to you it will give you trouble!

eggshell

Postby eggshell » March 14th, 2010, 10:25 am

One of My hunting partners sent me this picture from his cuddy cam, this was taken Friday. It's enough to stir the blood for sure.

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » March 14th, 2010, 12:13 pm

Went out this morning, had about 10 gobbling before 7:30!!! Opening day is tomorrow!!!
South Carolina Low Country

mark hay

Postby mark hay » March 14th, 2010, 2:31 pm

Drizzling rain, damp and cold , with a slight breeze . I went to look into the fields . Only saw one small flock ,,,,,they saw me first .

In spite of the weather I heard two gobblers in 15 minutes , 1/2 mile apart .

Return to Strategies