How early?

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
grizzly

RE: How early?

Postby grizzly » March 20th, 2010, 9:12 am

4:00- 4:30 a.m there nothinjg i enjoy more then watching the woods coming to life[:D]wayne

NEStrut

Postby NEStrut » March 21st, 2010, 12:17 pm

I like to try to be in my spot about 30 minutes before the gobbling starts, even if I don't have a specific bird I'm setting up on.

I like listening and watching the woods come alive, and if I'm there for the first gobbles, I'm ready to move if need be.
If the only prayer you said in your whole life was, "thank you," that would suffice.

MAKEemQUIVER

Postby MAKEemQUIVER » March 25th, 2010, 4:36 pm

If I have a bird roosted I will be set up 45 minutes to an hour before daylight starts cracking. If I dont have one roosted then I just try to be there about ten minutes before I expect the turkeys to start wakeing up.

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » March 26th, 2010, 5:09 am

I try to be at my spot an hour before sunrise. Whats difficult is that as the season goes the sun starts to come up earlier and earlier till by the end of the season I'm getting up between 1 and 2 a.m. to make it in before daylight.
If it gobbles,runs on gas, or is married to you it will give you trouble!

LibertyRoadOutlaw

Postby LibertyRoadOutlaw » March 26th, 2010, 9:52 am

ORIGINAL: grouse

I get out of the truck about the time I figure they'll start gobbling than I start listening. I slowly walk down logging roads, or other trails and listen as I go. I use to get out there an hour or so before they'd even start gobbling but than all that would happen is I'd walk deep into the woods and get into a spot where I think a gobbler would be and than hear birds back towards the truck. I don't scout out predeterminded spots for turkeys.

this

turkeylimb

Postby turkeylimb » March 26th, 2010, 12:55 pm

I try to be at my spot about one hour before it breaks day.

Previous

Return to Strategies