Wing Call

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
Fargohunt

Wing Call

Postby Fargohunt » January 17th, 2010, 10:41 am

Hey everyone who isn't watching football...just wondering if some of you who have made wing calls could post some pictures.

I made a couple last year, just after the season ended by taking the quills out and mounting them into a paddle-like shaped piece of wood.  I mounted and spaced the quills just as they would be on the turkey.  Haven't tried it yet and will this season, but hitting it against my arm and a fw tree limbs have offered some very realistic sounds.  A close friends swears by them and while reading an older post today it seems that there are more than a few of you more accomplished hunters who have had good success with them.

Thanks in advance, Scott

mark hay

RE: Wing Call

Postby mark hay » January 17th, 2010, 11:46 am

Yes Sir, this sure beats football[:D].

I do make the wing call . One slice of the knife and it's ready to dry . I put mine on a piece of cardboard and cover the quill area with table salt. Then I store it on top of a large light fixture that hangs in my garage where the mice can't get to it .

It is in my opinion the most effective call on pressured birds , though it isn't the most practical call to use on a public hunting area due to the movement . I actually use mine more for scratchin' the leaves and rakin' the barren soil , and makin' mock fights ,but have done some mock flydown wing flappin' too. Can be used at a dustbowl area to make a mock dusting ruckus to fool a wary tom,,in spring or fall. By using the tips of the feathers on the ground it is easy to flip small particals of dirt and debris out onto undisturbed leaf litter that makes a little noise in itself thereby sounding like a real turkey scratchin' and flippin' with its toenails .
 The first birds I called for my youngest stepson came looking for the scratchin' hen .

mark hay

Postby mark hay » January 17th, 2010, 11:59 am

go to page 7 of ''Talkin' Turkey''- General Discussion for photo

Thread title ''a caller?,,,,,,,,,,by Dcoleinpa

Fargohunt

Postby Fargohunt » January 17th, 2010, 3:00 pm

Mark,

Your description sounds exactly the way I pictured making the most of this sort of call.  I did some reading about them after last years season and I read just what you said about stubborn/pressured toms and making them think you really are a hen with something other than the standard calls, box, pot, etc.

I'll have a look at the call you referenced, thanks!  Scott

Fargohunt

Postby Fargohunt » January 17th, 2010, 3:07 pm

Hello again Mark,

Nice looking call and I really like the leather--a nice touch of class.  I would like to post a picture of may wing call, I actually wanted to post a picture of my gobbler from last May, but I seem to be having some real challenges, so I wondered, can you send me some simple directions for uploading/posting pics here?

Much obliged!  Scott

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » January 18th, 2010, 5:25 am

Delete

Tried to post pics but this site is too backwards in that dept. They should fix that.

Dcoleinpa

Postby Dcoleinpa » March 27th, 2010, 3:28 am

[:D][:D][:D] heck yeah!

Return to Strategies