How many pellets?

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
kenturkey89

How many pellets?

Postby kenturkey89 » March 22nd, 2010, 6:23 pm

I shoot a 20ga. Mossberg Model 500 with a Cabelas .575" choke. I've currently patterned my gun with Winchester Supreme #4 and #5 shot, and determined that my gun shoots #4 the best. Recently, I realized that my choke is "supposedly" best suited for heavy shot. I plan on buying a box to see which load patterns the best. But I'm pretty much a newbie to hunting turkeys and one question I have is what kind of pattern should I expect? How many pellets should be in the head/neck region to kill a turkey? Thanks for all the help!!

Brian

Hawkenman

RE: How many pellets?

Postby Hawkenman » March 26th, 2010, 4:37 pm

I only use #4's and have killed turkeys at over 50 yards using three and a half inch shells. And have killed them at forty yards with two and three quarter inch shells. the farther away the least amount of pellets. I have killed several turkeys with only 3 or 4 pellets to the neck, (never had one get away in the last 20 years). Stick to #4 shot, you won't be dissapointed.

boxcallkid

Postby boxcallkid » March 26th, 2010, 6:04 pm

I'm with Hawken man.........Lay em flat......... Forget the flop!
I love precious metals! Gold and silver are good,
But the ROI in guns are more fun!

WyoHunter

Postby WyoHunter » March 26th, 2010, 8:21 pm

Most information that I've read about this subject say you should have 7 - 10 pellets in the head and neck. This would be adequate but I would want at least 12.
Gobble, Gobble, Gobble! Springtime serenade for us Turkey Hunters!

nhtrkybstr

Postby nhtrkybstr » March 27th, 2010, 12:45 am

The minimum number of pellets for ethical turkey kills, is 80-90 pellets in a 10" circle.
So, when you get into that number, you have your max range.
I used to shoot #4 lead, but have converted to HTL(heavier than lead) #6 loads this year due to higher pellet numbers with the same power as lead #4.

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » March 27th, 2010, 2:58 am

It doesn't matter how many pellets are in the head & neck.

You have to hit the vitals on a turkey and thats the brain or spine. Shotgun patterns are random by nature so when you are looking for a pattern that will put a turkey down consistently you want to have several hits in the vitals. The number of vital hits is a personal choice. but for me I like to see 4 or 5 hits as a minimum in my killing pattern.

I like smaller shot so I get good coverage in my patterns. I know through personal experience and the experience of some friends that lead 6 shot in a turkey load will put a turkey down at 45 yards no problem IF you have a sufficient killing pattern. I have also read (from sources I think know what they are doing) that lead 6 shot will consistently kill a turkey at 50 yards. Again, you must have sufficient pattern at that range though.

Below is a pic of your real target when shooting at a turkey.

shocwave26

Postby shocwave26 » March 27th, 2010, 8:48 am

also take this into consideration. velocity and energy per pellet at diffrent yardage. rule of thumb is heavier shot such as #4 maintains more energy than a #6 in standard loads but in heavy shot a #6 retains as much as a #4 in copper or lead. so pellet penetration is a factor to consider at longer ranges. just my 2 cents. good luck with what you go with.
" hold ur fire boys,dont shoot until you see the white of thier eyes"

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » March 27th, 2010, 10:48 am

I took my gun out last night and tried out some Heavyshot shells that a friend gave me and they pattern much better than the Winchester's I was shooting previously. My choke is supposed to pattern better with heavyshot and it definitely does. I shot at those shoot-n-see targets and put 30 pellets in the head/neck region from 30 yards. I ran out of light and I want to get back out there and see how it does at 40 yards so I'll know what my range limit is come turkey season. Before dark I also heard my first gobbles of the year when I heard several gobblers sounding off in the distance before fly-up. Thanks to all you guys for all the great info. I'm pretty much a low-level apprentice when it comes to hunting and I appreciate all your help!

Brian

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » March 27th, 2010, 12:47 pm

ORIGINAL: shocwave26

also take this into consideration. velocity and energy per pellet at diffrent yardage. rule of thumb is heavier shot such as #4 maintains more energy than a #6 in standard loads but in heavy shot a #6 retains as much as a #4 in copper or lead. so pellet penetration is a factor to consider at longer ranges. just my 2 cents. good luck with what you go with.
Yup and the energy to penetrate is smaller due to the smaller surface area of smaller shot..

Their is nothing factory available at this time that compares to either the Hevi 13 #7s and Fed HW 7s in the 20 gauge.. Your choke sounds very good for the federals, but the Hevi 13 7s are a safer and more consistent bet gun to gun.

Return to Strategies