need suggestions

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
turkeyhuntnpilot

need suggestions

Postby turkeyhuntnpilot » March 26th, 2010, 9:50 am

Hey everyone! I just joined the forum and I'm a new turkey hunter seeking any sage counsel that anyone may have. First question is which call is the best? I have a box call, a striker call, and a mouth call. So far, I like the mouth call the best, but I don't know which one is the best for hunting. Any suggestions?

Hognutz

RE: need suggestions

Postby Hognutz » March 26th, 2010, 10:04 am

I suggest that you use the one that you play best. There is no answer to which call is the best. There is a time and place for all of the above. I will use the boat paddle when it is windy, or for locating, because of it's loudness. I like a friction call because of it's ease of use and the multitude of different calls that can be made with it. The mouth call is also very easy to use and makes nice yelps and cutts. Purring is best left to the friction call until you get the hang of it. It is also nice to have a mouth call in when the bird gets in close. This way, you can call without taking your hands off of your gun. Practice with them all because there is a time and a place for each of them..Hope this helps you a little...Good luck..Mike P.S. Welcome to the Forum, Turkeyhuntnpilot....
And there I was...Knee deep in grenade pins..

Hognutz

Postby Hognutz » March 26th, 2010, 10:14 am

turkeyhuntnpilot. One thing I forgot to point out is when you practice your calling, cadence is everything. Not all turkeys sound alike. In fact no two turkeys sound the same. What they do have in common is tempo. Listen to DVD's or watch the tube and learn this cadence. It never changes. Sometimes louder, sometimes softer, but the tempo is there always. Again, good luck, Mike...
And there I was...Knee deep in grenade pins..

Fargohunt

Postby Fargohunt » March 26th, 2010, 10:44 am

turkeyhuntnpilot, practice practice practice...get comfortable with all calls if possible and read as much as you can then listen to the birds when scouting and also read on this forum. If you do some digging you'll come up with many threads on calling etc, but hognutz is right, many hens sound quite different--it's about rhythm, cadence and tempo and know when to call and when to shut up--that is hard to teach--but also it is part of the fun learning.  Gobblers and hens know the difference and know if you are realor not, don't be agraid to mix it up--one of our weaknesses is that we quickly get into a comfort zone with calling and that just isn't how Mother Nature intended it to be.  If it was easy, we would be shoulder to shoulder in the woods[:o]

turkeyhuntnpilot

Postby turkeyhuntnpilot » March 26th, 2010, 10:51 am

That's a scary thought, although somewhat realistic the first day of deer season here in Pa.
Thanks for the advice guys. Before I started researching turkey hunting, I never realized that it could be so involved. But I like what I see and am very excited about learning more on this intriguing sport, not to mention reaping the harvest (hopefully).
Seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

creek bottom

Postby creek bottom » March 26th, 2010, 1:26 pm

Ok guys I'm back for some more great advice, u people just are awesome on advice and for those of u that gave me the advice about the crow call were dead on/it worked out for me today. I was talking to a guy today about a stubborn tom that just refuses to come within gun range. This person told me to stay on the dirt road and at the first time that he gobbles (I guess that while he is still on the roost) and try to go to him. I would like to get some advice on this, I'm still fairly new to turkey hunting and make sure that I do not attempt something stupid. Thanks again guys

NEStrut

Postby NEStrut » March 27th, 2010, 6:56 pm

Pilot - You've got some good advice on here so far.

I carry box, pot and peg and mouth calls every time I hit the woods, and many times use them all, depending on the hunt of course. The best thing to do is practice them all until you get proficient on each, and then practice them more, until you get even better. Then, practice some more. [;)] You can never have to much experience running any of your calls.

Creek - I'd suggest posting your question up on a different thread, so you don't end up hijacking this one, and you might get more advice if it's not buried in the middle of a different question.
If the only prayer you said in your whole life was, "thank you," that would suffice.

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » March 28th, 2010, 6:29 am

The best call to use is the one you are better at using and most comfortable with. I know I must sound like a broken record as often as I say this but. Get yourself a cd with live turkey sounds that explains what they are and their meaning. Then PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE!
If it gobbles,runs on gas, or is married to you it will give you trouble!

grizzly

Postby grizzly » March 28th, 2010, 7:52 am

welcome turkeyhuntnpilot. on calls there are no best one . it's what you feel is the best for you like for me i purfer pot and peg mostly i because i don't like box calls and i can't use mouth calls due to a birth defect . i say as a newbie try them all and you will find the ones that work best for you and then practice alot till you are comfortable with them . good luck with your season this year [:)] wayne

Return to Strategies