Are the turkeys on the ridges or in the valleys?

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
turkeyhuntnpilot

Are the turkeys on the ridges or in the valleys?

Postby turkeyhuntnpilot » March 29th, 2010, 6:26 am

I've been hearing a lot about listening to the turkeys and learning to mimic their calls, but I've been having a hard time locating any turkeys to listen to. I read or heard somewhere that it's good to walk the ridges and stop and call every so often. But I've also been thinking that turkeys have to drink sometimes too, so why not try the valleys where there are streams. The other day I checked out a valley with a creek and I found some signs of the birds. I just don't know where the best place is to set up because this is like the first time I've ever really gotten into hunting turkeys. What do ya'll think?
Seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Everyday Hunter

RE: Are the turkeys on the ridges or in the valleys?

Postby Everyday Hunter » March 29th, 2010, 6:54 am

Turkeyhuntnpilot: Welcome to the T&TH forums. You're in the right place to learn. We have lots of views of turkey hunting issues here. Here's my view on your question:

First, turkeys are where you find them. The reason people walk ridges is that it's usually an advantage to be above the turkeys when you call them. You live in Pennsylvania where there is plenty of water around, especially in the springtime. They don't need to go to the bottom of the valley for a drink. In most places, there are likely to be puddles and spring seeps wherever you are. They also get water from dew on the wet grass.

If you're on the ridge and you hear a gobbler in the valley, it's far easier to get down to him than if you're in the valley and you hear one above you. Figure it this way: If you're in the valley, you always have to go up, so why not start on the top?

Good luck,
Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

turkeyhuntnpilot

Postby turkeyhuntnpilot » March 29th, 2010, 7:04 am

That makes sense to be above them, especially since I'd rather go downhill anyway rather than having to climb up. So are you saying that the turkeys can be anywhere and that they have no preference in ridges or valleys (or woods or fields)?
Seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » March 29th, 2010, 7:20 am

ORIGINAL: turkeyhuntnpilot

That makes sense to be above them, especially since I'd rather go downhill anyway rather than having to climb up. So are you saying that the turkeys can be anywhere and that they have no preference in ridges or valleys (or woods or fields)?

I'm not saying they have no preference. Gobblers will generally be higher on the hill in the morning because when they're gobbling to attract hens, their gobbles can be heard from a greater distance.

Get on the top of the hill. Even if they're halfway down, you're farther ahead of the game than if you were in the bottom and had to get above the gobbler.

Also, in your first post you mentioned that you found turkey sign in the bottom of the valley. A month before the season that doesn't do you a lot of good if you don't know when they were there. If it was gobbler sign the gobblers were likely henned up and following the hens around.

Going back to your main question, it's not likely that the turkeys were in the valley looking for water -- maybe in a drier climate but not in Pennsylvania. They had another reason to be there -- maybe they were crossing the valley, or maybe they were on a food source, or maybe they were following hens around.

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » March 29th, 2010, 9:13 am

> But I've also been thinking that turkeys have to drink sometimes too <

The question of whether turkeys had to drink was once posed to Lovette Williams, noted turkey biologist. He indicated that wild turkeys get almost all neccessary moisture through their diet and very seldom have to take an actual drink, surprisingly even in drier, hotter climates.
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » March 29th, 2010, 9:31 am

Thanks for that comment, Fan Club. I remember reading that in Lovett Williams.

Steve

NEStrut

Postby NEStrut » March 29th, 2010, 9:39 am

I'd say Everyday is right on for this one.

I always prefer to be positioned above, and then move down if the situation calls for it.

Another advantage I believe too, atleast for me: I feel I can see farther/clearer looking down into a valley than I can looking up from the valley floor. Whether this is actually true, or just a figment of my imagination, it gives me more confidence in what I'm doing, which I have learned is a big plus when chasing these birds.
If the only prayer you said in your whole life was, "thank you," that would suffice.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » March 29th, 2010, 11:04 am

ORIGINAL: turkeyhuntnpilot

I've been hearing a lot about listening to the turkeys and learning to mimic their calls, but I've been having a hard time locating any turkeys to listen to. I read or heard somewhere that it's good to walk the ridges and stop and call every so often. But I've also been thinking that turkeys have to drink sometimes too, so why not try the valleys where there are streams. The other day I checked out a valley with a creek and I found some signs of the birds. I just don't know where the best place is to set up because this is like the first time I've ever really gotten into hunting turkeys. What do ya'll think?

I don't know what your options are , concerning places to engage birds to listen to . But it doesn't necessarily have to be a place you are going to hunt . But it is well worth the effort . Being in Pa.  the birds are no doubt still in flocks as they are here in southern Ohio . Listening to them is great . Being able to observe and listen is even better . To watch an individual bird make its calls is the best you can get .
 I will say you should not call to birds where you are going to hunt . And on a place that you will not hunt I would say don't call until you are ready to leave . They will pinpoint your location before you finish your first series of calling and you may end the show sooner than you would like .
 I'm guilty of calling to birds , in the past . It really doesn't benefit you or I to do so . I guess we sometimes feel better when we do it and have a gobbler answer back with a thunderous gobble or two .  The observation of the birds as they pitch down , then gather up can many times be a priceless show .
 Walking the ridges and periodically calling is fine , during season . But I wouldn't recommend it on a scouting trip. They grow wise to you and anyone else soon enough after season opens .
 I have never seen a wild turkey drinking water .

turkeylimb

Postby turkeylimb » March 29th, 2010, 1:13 pm

Mark has hit the nail on the head with his option on what he has said. Can't go wrong with that advice. I never seen a wild turkey drink water.

turkeyhuntnpilot

Postby turkeyhuntnpilot » March 31st, 2010, 6:10 am

Okay so the ridges are probably the better option for setting up. The other thing I'm still wondering about is it best to set up deep in the woods, on the edge of a field, just off the edge of a field, or what?

Return to Strategies