Decoy patterns

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
WillowRidgeCalls

Decoy patterns

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » March 30th, 2010, 7:22 pm

If you choose to use decoys and if your using a Jake decoy or a strutter with a hen. I've found it best to set them up with the Jake closest to you and facing away from you. When a Tom comes in they will almost always try to come in from behind another tom or try to circle around behind or to the side before they pick a fight with them. That puts the bird between you and your decoys and closer to you, so there is nothing blocking your shot.
Now if your using just a hen then you'll want her facing you, because a tom will always try to get infront of the hen to put on a show.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Fan Club

RE: Decoy patterns

Postby Fan Club » March 31st, 2010, 4:34 am

Over the years I have had better luck with multiple decoy spreads ( 2 or 3) than single decoys. Ten years ago all the decoys had their heads up signaling an alert turkey. Manufacturers got wise and introduced feeding hens and more relaxed posture dekes. Along with more realism, today's decoys seem to be more effective than previously.

In the past I had some luck with a jake tail on a stick along with a couple hens. I bought a Strutter decoy two years ago and with a real turkey fan have had great success coupled with the submissive hen and a feeding hen.

I realize decoys aren't for everyone, full strut decoys in particular. I say if it's legal, hunt how you like. The main thing is that you are out hunting, not sitting on a couch.
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » March 31st, 2010, 11:10 am

I haven't used decoys in a few years, but bought a strutter to try this year just to see how it goes.  I had a lot of success in the past by using a hen decoy facing me @ 12-15 yards with a jake decoy about 2 yards behind her, also facing me.  The majority of the gobblers came in looking to kick that jake's @$$.  I even had one gobbler jump up on the decoy's back, knocking the whole stake out of the ground.  Both the decoy & gobbler toppled to the ground and the gobbler got right up & spurred the fallen decoy, then pecked his eye before I lowered the boom on the gobbler.

The cover is too tight and it is too far to carry decoys to the place I usually hunt these days.  If I get the chance to hunt the old spot, I'll use a strutter and hen in the same configuration I used with the jake & hen.

One of my turkey hunting mentors told me never to use a single hen decoy because gobblers were more likely to hang up at greater distances, waiting for that hen to come to them.  E.P. sometimes uses a single jake decoy with very good success.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » March 31st, 2010, 12:54 pm

Thanks WillowRidgeCalls. I just bought a hen and jake decoy that I plan on using this year and I'd like to get another feeding hen to add to my flock. I'll definitely have to remember those setup tips you talked about!

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » March 31st, 2010, 4:40 pm

The point I was making Jim is that when a tom comes in to kick the jakes butt is that, if he dose kick it over you won't have your hen decoy between you and your target. 95% of the time they go after the jake first, to get rid of him, and they keep after him until they knock him over and when they do then there is nothing blocking your shot. [:)]
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » March 31st, 2010, 5:32 pm

I'm kinda slow sometimes, Scott...I completely missed your point. My bad.

I generally never gave the gobbler much of a chance to show off for the hen after he even looked at the jake too hard.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Return to Strategies