Roughly where to set up

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
RickB

Roughly where to set up

Postby RickB » April 4th, 2010, 12:56 pm

All:

Since y'all keep helping so much, thought I'd ask another question (or two).

My land is rectangular, with the long side along the road (about 3/8 of a mile of frontage) and about 1/4 mile deep. There is a large center section which is grasses, with woods horseshoeing the perimiter.

I walked the land a little bit this past weekend and heard turkey vocalizations.

Does one set up in the grass and try to call the turkeys out of the woods, or does one set up in the woods?

If you set up in the grass, how does one position/conceal himself? I always hear that you lean against a big tree, but obviously in an open field, there are no trees to lean against.

Thanks

Rick

WillowRidgeCalls

RE: Roughly where to set up

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 4th, 2010, 3:28 pm

As a new turkey hunter you'll learn something new every time out, and you'll keep learning as you get older.
As for where to set up, I'd set up right dead center in the middle of the open field in a chair of some kind, and you'll learn 2 things from the turkey's.
1. The guy that told you to sit there is nuts. [:)]
2. It don't pay to sit there again. [:D]
Just kidding.

Now on the serious side, the center of that field is a good place to start. Get there good and early and listen where the birds are roosted when they sound off. Then move in on them. try to get with in about 150yds of where they are and set up. If you can't get a bird to work for you, then you may want to move to the area where you heard them in when you were scouting, later in the morning and set up there. Let the birds tell you where to go.
Good luck and hunt safe. [;)]
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

KitsapCaller

Postby KitsapCaller » April 4th, 2010, 9:56 pm

There is a concealment blind that looks like a bail of hay you can climb into for concealment. That might be the only way you could possibly sit in the middle of a field but no guarantee it would work.

Your best bet is to be on the edge of the field against a tree whenever possible.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » April 5th, 2010, 2:15 am

Use the shade of the tree to work in your favor. Camoflage works better with shadows mixed in than it does in direct sunlight.  Don't make your set-up obvious and fewer turkey eyes will lock onto it.

It helps to go listen and watch from a vantage point where you are less likely to disturb the turkeys.  Even though turkeys don't do the same thing or go the same way every day, you can get an idea of where they like to hang out & roost.

Good Luck.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

shaman

Postby shaman » April 7th, 2010, 1:30 am

You'll probably want to set up in the woods as opposed to an open field.  It gives you the maximum amount of concealment.  However, if you're trying to locate the birds and observe where they might be roosting, it's okay to be out in the field.  Just remember that my turkeys can see me at 450 yards .  Not only can they pick me up sitting still against the house at 450 yards, but they can also see me moving in the trees at that distance.  At 250 yards, they can see me moving in the house, passing in front of the window.  Whenever they see me, they usually react violently; they either run off or fly off.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

eggshell

Postby eggshell » April 7th, 2010, 2:19 am

I agree set up in the edge of the woods

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » April 7th, 2010, 5:25 am

A little late to try this but putting a blind in the middle of the feild would be fine. But you would have to put it up way before season so the birds can get used to it being there. For now you might want to look for signs where the birds may be traveling through the feild and set up along the wood line near where they enter or exit from. Just don't get too close. Using decoys may or may not be helpful to you. Depending on the birds feild of veiw it could cause one to hang up on you if not placed just right. Remember, it is natural for the hen to go to the tom so try an think of everything you can that could cause a tom to hang up and try to remove it from the equation.  Good Luck!
If it gobbles,runs on gas, or is married to you it will give you trouble!

Return to Strategies