Weird flock structure I think???

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
eggshell

RE: Weird flock structure I think???

Postby eggshell » April 6th, 2010, 1:31 pm

I think you will be fine too. I took the boss bird out of a flock last year on opening day. Four days later we heard the group fire up and could tell  they were fighting (re-establishing dominance). I set up to call for my buddies and started my own fight with calls, one bird flew right to us....he lost the fight.

dam3391

Postby dam3391 » April 7th, 2010, 4:13 am

I think the guys are right on!  Be patient another bird will be in there with that many hens.  Like Cut n' Run said, it may take up to a week for the other satellite birds to know he's gone.

I will say this though, you will want to be in the woods when they come back in looking to set the pecking order!

T.W. Houk

Postby T.W. Houk » April 7th, 2010, 9:57 am

Well here is the bird my girlfriend took on Monday. Im begining to think that this was the only bird left in the county. Still again today no toms heard or seen only hens. I'm trying a different farm in the morning and will check back later in the morning to see if maybe something has changed.

T.W. Houk

Postby T.W. Houk » April 7th, 2010, 9:59 am

WOW I HAVE TO WORK ON RESIZING PICS SORRY

eggshell

Postby eggshell » April 7th, 2010, 10:14 am

Here ya  go Houk

Those both look like keepers to me Houk...you treat that gal well. A girl Friend that will hunt with ya is a true gem.

dewey

Postby dewey » April 7th, 2010, 10:15 am

Hey T.W Houk congratulations to your girlfriend for taking a great gobbler.  Also welcome to the forum.  I was out in West Central MN, needless to say WAY North of where you are at, and I noticed a couple groups of toms by themselves but I also noticed a group of 25-30 birds with about 10-12 of them being toms and the rest were hens.  Some of the toms and hens were doing the wild thing [:D] and some of the gobblers were gobbling like crazy.  Seems kind of weird that where I am at the birds are transitioning from same sex groups to a big group but where you are at they might still be in the same sex groups.[8|]

Here is a link to a easy way to resize photos along with directions.

http://forum.turkeyandturkeyhunting.com/tm.aspx?m=12411

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

shocwave26

Postby shocwave26 » April 7th, 2010, 1:20 pm

dont be too concernd. where theres that many girls the boys will be there for sure.congrats to your girlfriend on a great turkey.
" hold ur fire boys,dont shoot until you see the white of thier eyes"

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » April 7th, 2010, 1:26 pm

Great photo, in every way. Beautiful gobbler, beautiful girl, great composition.

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

T.W. Houk

Postby T.W. Houk » April 7th, 2010, 3:36 pm

O.K. if this works this is a pic of the first bird she harvested a nice 3yr old. i have another pic to post but i have to in another setting days file is too large

T.W. Houk

Postby T.W. Houk » April 7th, 2010, 3:39 pm

OK i downloaded the software and thought that i resized the image but apparently i am not smarter than the computer i apologize for the large pics i will get it fixed...

PreviousNext

Return to Strategies