help

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
Gobbler Down

help

Postby Gobbler Down » April 10th, 2010, 1:31 pm

We have a 250 acre lease and I have been out scouting almost everyday. From what I can hear and see it looks like we have about 4 longbeards and 8 jakes that hang in a group. I am worried about these jakes. The longbeards don't seem to be gobbling hat much and the jakes are ganging up on them in the fields. When it comes time to hunt, what can I do?

TreeTrunkNarcoleptic

RE: help

Postby TreeTrunkNarcoleptic » April 10th, 2010, 2:43 pm

Shoot the puffy one. [:D]
"You can't grill it 'till you kill it."

grizzly

Postby grizzly » April 10th, 2010, 2:52 pm

my thought on this if you have two tags i would try and see if which one is the leader of the jake gang and pop him it may do away with the problem[:)]wayne

shocwave26

Postby shocwave26 » April 10th, 2010, 6:36 pm

i have set up and had a similar problem with jakes. just because a bird is a long beard doesnt always mean that he is a boss. anyway i witnessed 3 jakes run a long beard off a ridge that i was on then they came in to my calling. the long beard was gone so when the jakes got about 10 yards from me i jumped up and ran at them swinging my arms and scared the hell out of them. i resumed calling from my set up and 2 and a half hours later i dirt rolled a bird with a 10 and a half inch beard. he did not gobble but slipped in. this stratagy of running the jakes off has paid off for me more than once. i believe they can recognize a call that they have a bad experience with like mature birds,because after doing this to the jakes they did not respond well to my hen callsfor the remiander of the season. just something you might want to try. it is effective.
" hold ur fire boys,dont shoot until you see the white of thier eyes"

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » April 13th, 2010, 6:41 am

By the time opening day rolls around that group might break up. Sounds like their still figuring pecking order. Most likely the long beards are two year olds that had been subs to and older bird that might not have survived the harse winter we just had. Even if when season opens up they are still running together it not a problem. Fact is it might actually help you! If they come to your setup they will be more concerned with worring anout who gets to the hen first to notice you sitting close by. Then it will be just a matter of waiting for the right shot. 
If it gobbles,runs on gas, or is married to you it will give you trouble!

dewey

Postby dewey » April 13th, 2010, 6:52 am

ORIGINAL: shocwave26

i have set up and had a similar problem with jakes. just because a bird is a long beard doesnt always mean that he is a boss. anyway i witnessed 3 jakes run a long beard off a ridge that i was on then they came in to my calling. the long beard was gone so when the jakes got about 10 yards from me i jumped up and ran at them swinging my arms and scared the hell out of them. i resumed calling from my set up and 2 and a half hours later i dirt rolled a bird with a 10 and a half inch beard. he did not gobble but slipped in. this stratagy of running the jakes off has paid off for me more than once. i believe they can recognize a call that they have a bad experience with like mature birds,because after doing this to the jakes they did not respond well to my hen callsfor the remiander of the season. just something you might want to try. it is effective.

That sounds like a great tip[:D], I will definetly keep that in mind if I come across that type of situation.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Return to Strategies