Anyone tried a Jake Fan?

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
joeturkey

RE: Anyone tried a Jake Fan?

Postby joeturkey » April 9th, 2010, 9:35 pm

Hey Jeff ; I have used a photo-printed cardboard cutout of a jake turkey that would be considered a rear view on 2 sides. Iv'e put it out with a couple of hens in a set with one hen 2 feet away from jake fan. Seemed like it should work fine, but after about 6 tries I gave up on it! I think using real feathers on a swivel would work much better and I'm going to try it when I get some new feathers. Hopefully real soon!!!! Good luck and good hunting.  Joe
"You need to drink a few large glasses of beer tonight. That is the only solution. "

Ben Franklin

SC_Hunter

RE: Anyone tried a Jake Fan?

Postby SC_Hunter » April 14th, 2010, 5:53 pm

Jeff, I made mine out of an either 270 or 30-06 used shell and super glued it to the back of the fan. Then, take a used aluminum arrow and use it as a stake. you can break it into a perferred length if it is too big. the slightest breeze will turn it every so often. I tried it one afternoon and it worked except I missed[:@]. got in the field at 1pm and he gobbled down in the swamp and could tell he was coming with to the field. two hens appeared and saw my two hen decoys and my fan I had out and came running in putting and making alot of corruption. they went behind me through the hedge row to the other field just as big boy appeared in the field. He spotted that fan and came sprinting in...FAST. I got nervous and shot too soon and missed. ended up killing him the next season though in the same spot for my #4 of that season. It does work and it is very portable.

Previous

Return to Strategies